Autumn is in the air, so summer of 2013 was the year of the ...

• 34 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Autumn is in the air, so summer of 2013 was the year of the ...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 13:59 »
Strawberry :)

Not far off 15lb in total from a 4'x4' bed, plus a couple of hundred wild strawberries.

I'm still picking them.  :D

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 14:24 »
Only got my plot in March and I am just thankful that I got anything after a busy year with work. Very pleased with my broad beans, carrots, sweetcorn and courgette and onions. Will forget about my first attempt at brassicas, I just hope the slugs forget too!!!!!!!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 15:14 »
Last year was my first year, so with this year being my second I had high hopes and expectations... this of course leads to disssapointment...

I really like the Lady Crystal potatoes - tasty.  In bags/containers they did well but in the ground they seemed to get quite damaged.

The Charottes I had enjoyed so much last year were also scabby and damaged this year (both in the ground and in pots).

The maris pipers are also quite damaged.

The sharpo mira (grown because of knows blight resistance) did ok, good quantity of potatoes, some huge jacked sizes but a few too many tiddlers (going to be fiddly to peel!)

The Desirees were the star of the potatoes :)  really good yield and very little damage :)

I was disorganised with my brassics but what I did get into the ground did well.

I planed loads more peas but they didn't do anywhere hear as well as last year - hardly any in the freezer for winter!

Tomatoes have done well (but I've wasted loads due to being disorganised!), Peppers have done well also - not hight yields but I'm happy none the less :)  got loads of chillies from plants grown from seed - way impressed with myself  :tongue2:

Beans (runner and slenderette) have both done well...

My onions didn't seem to do too well.

Anyhow I'm not deterred but planning for next year - not just to find a house to live in with ...

Hannah :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 16:51 »
The butternut squash !!!
Anne

gypsy

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 17:00 »
Blackcurrants, blackcurrants and more blackcurrants. My best crop of the season by a long way. Other stuff was good but the blackcurrant crop was huge and yummy.
Catherine

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 18:35 »
Year of the cucumber and the aubergine for me! :happy:
Definitely going for grafted in these plants again next year - worth every penny. ;)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 21:45 »
This was our second year of allotmenteering - last year was terrible - most failures due to the wet summer.  So we were geared for ANY success this year.
So, spuds have been good, cabbages and broccoli too, though we will have to rethink for next year as I plot share and it is impossible to grow enough calabrese for several hungry children!  Peas were fab - especially the 'champion of england'.  I have a little stash of them for that time at the end of December and broccoli too  :D.  Runners did and indeed, are doing well.  As did lovely purple striped climbing beans which were a joy to grow, look at and eat (have a stash of those too). We were reserved with courgette plants this year so haven't had great gluts, just enough to enjoy a weekly supply.

Had great success with cukes 'minature whites'. Absolutely delicious and kept us going for the summer months from three plants at home. May try them at the plot next year - climbing up the munty bean frame  :D

Won't bother with toms next year (say that every year) but we go away for too long during the summer school hols and can't give them the attention they need.

gobs

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 21:49 »
The year of carrots and onions here, certainly. Pot and toms were also good.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Totty

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 21:56 »
Generally a very good year for growing. Lost my cukes prematurely after a prolonged fight with spider mite, and brassicas took a bit of a hammering with all the butterfly's. Apart from that everything has done well.
Shallot-Zebrune from seed, Tomatoes- Sakura, Tomatoberry, Dometica, and celeriac- Ilona, are all new to me this year and have been hugely impressive. Cannot rate them highly enough.

Totty

heloise

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 22:30 »
Great year for tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries, onions and sweetcorn (yeah!). It would have been for brassicas if it wasn't for the butterflies squeezing under the enviromesh. Also not so good were broad beans as black flies decimated them (boo!).

Flowertot

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 22:49 »
...French bean and the beetroot definitely.   :D :D
Also had great success with Charlotte potatoes, Queensland Blue pumpkins, Calabrese and courgettes. 
Still can't grow decent spring onions though!

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 09:25 »
Definitely good for toms, potatoes, peas, carrots, onions, celeriac, courgettes, squash, leeks (so far, touch wood), blackcurrants, apples and alpine strawbs!

Not good for salsify, scorzonera, kohl rabi, broad beans, sweet corn (definitely my fault), shallots (old bulbs probably), raspberries, (as the summer ones didn't do much), beetroot, and parsnip, (to see yet, after a frost) and also runners, as they struggled for lack of water down at The Patch, but the simple wigwam we have at home is still covered with flowers!

midmarman

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 10:38 »
best summer in seven years in Edinburgh in reply to op carrots been amazing 29p from Lidl esp the seed in tape variety(no need for thinning).Sweetcorn also a major success,salad completely slug free, beetroot great courgettes over a hundred, all varietys of beans great. In general fantastic year for veg and flowers and to be able to sit and relax between the watering and harvesting !
Only grumbles, fennel refusing to bulb and spring onions think I managed three !  :)

madcat

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27 »
Good year for outdoor cucs, borlottis, potatoes, salads and spinach and chinese leaves and onions and garlic and shallots and turnip and summer cabbage and sweetcorn and tomatoes and marrow and courgette and herbs and currants ....

Jury out on swedes and sprouts and parsnip and leek and calabrase ...

Bad year for runners and french beans (blasted bunnies! >:(), peas (maggots and bunnies :mad:), sweet peas, winter squash (not that many fruit set and toooo many male flowers, odd given the success of the cucs and courgettes in the same bed), strawberries (our fault - too late getting them weeded and fed the previous year).

A good year really!  The sunshine and showers were a really good mix and the slugs not as bad as some years.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 12:10 »
My Bananas have grown really well this year  :lol:

xx
What mild Summer and Autumn mean to next year

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 16:13
by Christine
xx
Summer or autumn rasperries help

Started by Anneber on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 14:49
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Raspberries - summer or autumn?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 19:00
by JayG
clip
Autumn or summer Rasbury's

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 20:13
by jaydig

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 37 queries.