Sweetcorn - Never thought I'd ever say this

• 39 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn - Never thought I'd ever say this
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16 »
I'm still working on the "masterplan" to get more than one good cob from each plant - I find that you can get away with growing them closer together than recommended, but I have my suspicions that the resulting density of sometimes overlapping leaves makes pollination of the lower silks more problematic by shielding them from the pollen. However, if you're strapped for space you obviously have more plants, so it's a bit of a swings and roundabout situation.  :unsure:

Staggered sowing, which should improve both overall pollination as well as extending the cropping period only works in a good summer where I am - didn't work at all well last year but may well have been a good idea this summer, which of course is the one I chose to abandon that particular "experiment!"  ::)

My average this year is about 1 1/2  per plant, as Mum suggested earlier, every one of which provides a few moments of heaven to eat!  :happy:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 18:38 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29 »
I'm still working on the "masterplan" to get more than one good cob from each plant

If memory of earlier threads serves me, we've discussed our respective masterplans for the last few years?!

My problem with my masterplan is that I keep growing Swift as I know it works ... but its a miracle if I get more than one cob.

Growing two varieties as a trial is fraught with cross pollination ...

... maybe I'll put another variety in a block in the ornamental section of the garden next year?

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 12:05 »
I did about 30 plants this year and got pretty much 100%. Some gave me two cobs, though not many. I'll grow a few more next year. I don't like shop bought sweetcorn, but freshly picked it's amazing.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16 »
Yes, it's like a totally different vegetable to shop bought corn. YUMMMMMM :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 12:44 »
I suppose that my problem is growing it in the tunnel. All 50 plants seemed to mature at once. At least outdoors they seem to stagger their maturity a little as I'm now finding

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 13:42 »
I suppose that my problem is growing it in the tunnel. All 50 plants seemed to mature at once.
Sow two batches 14 days apart?  They'll catch up a bit, so you might need more than 14 days between, starting them quite early in the year.

cadalot

Re: Never thought I'd ever say this
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 13:59 »
all produced two or 3 corns.
What variety were you growing please?

They were Lark F1 Hybrid from Thompson & Morgan - 9 out of the 12 planted germinated but they all produced cobs - I did give them all a little shake at the appropriate time when it was not too windy

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 15:24 »
Thanks, Lark have been on my ToTry list for a few years as in other respects they seem to be very similar to Swift that I have been growing, and was happy with, so I'll give them a try next year.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 17:15 »

Growing two varieties as a trial is fraught with cross pollination ...

You can grow a few supersweets (Sh2) together in the same block or sugar enhanced (SU) togehter but DO NOT combine both types as you get strange mutations.. and  if you want to grow both SE and SU you ideally they need to be separated by a few hundred feet if possible. So beware of what your neighbours have growing as well.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 19:54 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 17:46 »
You can grow a few supersweets (SE) together in the same block or sugar enhanced (SU) togehter
The instructions on my seed packets say much the same thing (they vary, sometimes saying "Don't plant near any other variety" and sometimes "can be planted with any other variety" even!!), but I am pretty sure someone on here posted a photo of cobs with corns that were cleared "mucked about" by cross pollination, although I'm not 100% sure that they were the same "type", but I think they may have been.

Hopefully someone else will remember the thread?

AnneB

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 18:21 »
I am feeling very lucky.  This is my third attempt at sweetcorn.  I grew 9 plants, but 2 died after planting out.  So far we have had 4 cobs, which have been lovely.   There are more to come.  I grew Double Standard Bicolour from Real Seeds.

Unfortunately not quite so many more to come as expected.   We had thieves overnight on the plot and some of my cobs were taken.   Felt for neighbours who had all their onions and potatoes in store taken, plus all cabbages from one plot, most Brussels from another and smashed greenhouse door.   

I hope they choke on the veg.

cadalot

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 19:03 »

chillimummy

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 19:41 »
Hi Anne Terrible to hear that. Where in Bradford are your allotments as I am in Bradford too?
Where I am used to be not as secure but have locked gates now and high hedges done by the council
All done before I took on my allotment last year
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

AnneB

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 19:47 »
Hi Anne Terrible to hear that. Where in Bradford are your allotments as I am in Bradford too?
Where I am used to be not as secure but have locked gates now and high hedges done by the council
All done before I took on my allotment last year

We are at Chapel Lane.   To be fair, the Allotments officer came up this morning along with someone to look at what can be done with the fence.  It isn't tall enough.   We put some barbed wire up 2 years ago and thefts stopped.   We had to take it down though at the Council's request because of the proximity to the park.   I am hopeful the fence will be improved.   Today's events have made the case for us.

barley

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 20:09 »
I've had enough of sweetcorn for this year. The family encouraged me to grow around 50 plants in the polytunnel and we're sweetcorned out. There are at least another dozen ready outside too
Title edit for search purposes
that sounds interesting - never grown them inside before
how are the sweet corn pollinated in the tunnel ? I thought they were wind pollinated or do you have a windy tunnel  :lol:

xx
After thought

Started by neil1967 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:53
by neil1967
xx
Thought I was going mad

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 19:18
by Axe Victim
xx
well who da thought it !

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 21:07
by kermit
xx
thought I'd heard everything

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 23:43
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.77 seconds with 38 queries.