What grape vine do you recommend??

• 15 Replies

cbv8

What grape vine do you recommend??
« on: September 25, 2013, 15:27 »
Hi All,
I have always wanted to grow a grape vine (outdoor) so could someone please tell me the best variety i should buy i am thinking of growing it up an archway/tunnel i have NO experience of growing grapes so be patient with me  :blush: I would like an easy to grow hardy variety with desert fruits either black or white i'm not fussed or both  :D can i grow two or more together  :unsure: any advice or suggestions very much appreciated  ;)

cbv8

Re: What grape vine do you recommend??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:04 »
Not one suggestion  :nowink: ok what do we all think about the variety Brant  :wacko:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:11 »
Not one suggestion  :nowink:
No idea for outdoors ... if you had of asked for under glass I would have said Black Hamburg ...

cbv8

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:36 »
Not one suggestion  :nowink:
No idea for outdoors ... if you had of asked for under glass I would have said Black Hamburg ...
Thanks for the reply  :) i would dearly have loved to grow a vine under glass but my greenhouse is only small but functional enough for us but my garden is big ie over 100ft long that's where the archway and outdoor vine is more suitable for me  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 13:29 »
RHS says of Black Hamburg (amongst other indoor grape varieties)

"Although some varieties of dessert grapes can be grown successfully outdoors, they are more successful under glass, even in warmer locations."

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=287

They do have a page on outdoor dessert grapes though:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=288

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 13:34 »
"Vines can be grown outdoors in southern Britain, south of a line between Pembroke and the Wash"

Border line for you, sadly.  More global warming may help though  :tongue2:

Yana

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 13:42 »
I was waiting for replies too cbv8 as I would love to have an outdoor grapevine.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

gobs

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 19:54 »
Not one suggestion  :nowink: ok what do we all think about the variety Brant  :wacko:

There is another recent thread about this topic, you know. ;) Scroll down a bit.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

cbv8

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:11 »

There is another recent thread about this topic, you know. ;) Scroll down a bit.
Still no help realy but thanks anyway my neighbour has a couple vines growing outdoor which are loaded with grapes i will ask him what variety they are but he is as bit vague at the best of times watch this space Yana  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 09:25 »
Still no help realy

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=109875.0

The issue is that dessert Grapes are a tough crop for in the UK.  I grow all sorts of stuff not suitable for UK climate ... but I don't bother with any food crops that are borderline - too much effort to grow them if I then have a zero return much/all the time.  I seem to relax that rule for ornamentals :)

my neighbour has a couple vines growing outdoor which are loaded with grapes

My first inclination would be to ask him for a taste. I reckon this year will have been good for grapes, if his aren't sweet this year then maybe give up on the project?

cbv8

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:46 »
Thanks Kristen when i spoke to him a long while ago he said he is going to make his own wine so i presume he has had them for a while and therefore should be of good quality ie sweet we shall see  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 11:10 »
Thanks Kristen when i spoke to him a long while ago he said he is going to make his own wine so i presume he has had them for a while and therefore should be of good quality ie sweet we shall see  ;)
Plenty of award wining English table wine so I presume wine Grapes are not hard in UK, but as greenhouses more commonly used for Dessert grapes I think that may need more heat.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 14:21 »
Take a look at Victoriana Website, they have got quite a few on there. www.victoriananursery.co.uk This is where I will be buying mine from.

cbv8

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 20:34 »
Well that's it i bought a Vitis Vnifera Brandt what swung it for me was the wonderful different greens yellows and bright red leaves ok the fruits may not ripen fully outdoors :unsure: But it is a pretty vine and what a show it will bring over my archway next Autumn i hope :wacko: i will buy a few more vines to mingle in me thinks that's when i know what other ones to buy that is  ;) 

jrko

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 09:21 »
Only just found you're question so this is a touch late

My father in law manages a vineyard near where I live. He recommended me Regent as the fruits are easier to ripen.

You'll also want to look into canopy management, which is basically giving the grapes maximum sun exposure to give them the best chance of ripening.

Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

xx
Grape vine

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 18:02
by gobs
xx
grape vine

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 20:03
by hightide
clip
New grape vine

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 19:57
by Elmarto
xx
Grape Vine

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 19:18
by bobw1956

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 38 queries.