Clearing couch grass in raspberries...

• 34 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Clearing couch grass in raspberries...
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 09:29 »
I was on the plot the other day noticing how verdant the weeds were so I think now would be a good time. The nettles have never looked so lush  :D

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 09:52 »
Mulch them with wet newspaper. 3 or 4 sheets covering the weeds will stop light getting to them and will eventually kill them off! Don't forget to weigh down newspaper with soil or compost.

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 07:34 »
What a speedy reply from Monsanto! I'm sure ot's OK to post it here, (OK Mods..?)

Dear Mr Growster,

You have brought up a very interesting question!

Roundup can be applied close to most plants and as long as the spray droplets do not hit the foliage it will be safe. However there is no approval for professional use in Raspberries in field crops.

In many minor crops including gooseberries and currants there is a recommendation for using certain Roundup products under an Extension of Authorisation approval (EAMU)- ie one which is not on the label but is considered safe enough by the regulators to carry out at the grower’s own risk. https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/offlabels/search.asp

In summer fruiting Raspberries the mix of new suckers emerging in the vicinity of the old canes means even spot treatment of perennial weeds is likely to result in suckers taking up the herbicide and transporting it back to the stool. Damage can be severe, hence there is no extension of use for Raspberries.

I accept entirely that autumn fruiting canes bear fruit on current year’s wood so that at this time of year there is no green vegetation to take-up the glyphosate. Glyphosate will not be absorbed through brown/lignified/woody stumps. 

If you are using the Lawn and Garden range of Roundup weedkillers, again there is no specific recommendation for such use, so the small risk you take is your own.

I trust this is helpful.

Kind regards,

[name and contact details edited - Yorkie]

So it looks as though Roundup can be applied with near certainty of a result, when the stems are dormant!

I know there will be several schools of thought on how to tackle the problem, but rasp-work can be pretty tiring if there are several square yards to deal with. As I said, I don't mind the digging out, as I did one and a half plots which were just bulging with couch, but I do like to use new technology if it means I don't ache so much the next day...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 18:12 by Yorkie »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 08:01 »
Glyphosate will not be absorbed through brown/lignified/woody stumps. 

Interested in that bit as folk put Glyphosate on treestumps to stop them sprouting.  Perhaps such (i.e. "still active") treestumps would now be described as "brown/lignified/woody" though?

Salmo

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 10:59 »

Interested in that bit as folk put Glyphosate on treestumps to stop them sprouting.  Perhaps such (i.e. "still active") treestumps would now be described as "brown/lignified/woody" though?

Tree stumps must be treated within a day or so of cutting so that the chemical is absorbed into the newly cut material.

Well done Monsanto. What a nice letter. Many companies would have just fobbed you off.

Ema

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 13:21 »
I have a similar problem in my couch grass/strawberry bed!

I'm going to take a folk to it today and see how heavy the soil is. If its going to be too much hard work I'm going to pull out some of the strawberry plants and relocate them, then cover the bed with cardboard

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 21:12 »

Yes, I was interested at that bit, Kristen!

I suppose any bit of rasp stem which is 'snappable', would count as dead, and |I think I'll go down that route, and clobber the couch that way!

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 21:18 »

Tree stumps must be treated within a day or so of cutting so that the chemical is absorbed into the newly cut material.

Well done Monsanto. What a nice letter. Many companies would have just fobbed you off.

Thank you Salmo, I think they are being very helpful! I've never thought of how to treat stumps, but there are items on the shelves for this, and possibly made from the same stuff!

We never question drug companies making new inroads against hurts for people in distress, but when a company makes it easier to grow necessities like food, the BBC armies get up on their hind legs and start complaining.

Weird!

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 21:19 »
I have a similar problem in my couch grass/strawberry bed!

I'm going to take a folk to it today and see how heavy the soil is. If its going to be too much hard work I'm going to pull out some of the strawberry plants and relocate them, then cover the bed with cardboard

Ema, make it easier on yourself, just do as they say, and take a chance!

We are!

Kirpi

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 00:16 »
I painted glyphos onto bindweed leaves that were strangling my raspberries two years ago and they have only just come back to full growth this year. Last year I was starting to think they would all need replacing.

My experience was even the slightest accidental touch of glyphos on one or two raspberry leaves was enough to seriously threaten the whole plant. I wouldn't use it again.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 18:13 »
What a speedy reply from Monsanto! I'm sure ot's OK to post it here, (OK Mods..?)

I've edited out the author's details as they haven't specifically consented to them being posted on the www., Growster.

Nice and helpful letter otherwise, thanks for posting it.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gobs

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 19:33 »
I'd be tempted to move them, as advised by some, Growster. I am of the view, a raspb bed needs a good clearing every now and then, otherwise it's just gets into a mess with time. And I personally find it easier and faster - depending how bad it is -, to dig up, dug over, sort canes, keep the best only, plant where you want.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26 »

I've edited out the author's details as they haven't specifically consented to them being posted on the www., Growster.

Nice and helpful letter otherwise, thanks for posting it.  :)

Thanks Yorkie, of course you're right to do this!

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30 »
I'd be tempted to move them, as advised by some, Growster. I am of the view, a raspb bed needs a good clearing every now and then, otherwise it's just gets into a mess with time. And I personally find it easier and faster - depending how bad it is -, to dig up, dug over, sort canes, keep the best only, plant where you want.

I think you're probably right, Gobs, but I'm also weighing up the 'Growster nasty impinged shoulder' syndrome, which is beginning to make decisions on heavy labour more circumspect...

gobs

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 20:12 »
Oh, I see.

Then, either Trill's advise or frequent hoeing, CG does not like that. If both are strenuous, Roundup def. does not kill woody things, wait till dormancy of crop, when the grass is growing.

I did not realize it killed grass, mind. :lol:

It did not kill the ivy or the holly I sprayed, that's for certain.

xx
Clearing the old Couch Grass

Started by digger123 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 18:40
by JayG
xx
couch and grass in raspberries

Started by Lottiegob on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 08:05
by Lottiegob
xx
Couch grass in raspberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 18:23
by victoria park
xx
getting rid of couch grass

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 20:47
by wil4025

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 38 queries.