I should know this ( broad beans)

• 22 Replies

Beetroot Queen

I should know this ( broad beans)
« on: September 21, 2013, 15:32 »
Our local shop has just stocked up the broad beans

Is it too early, had a look at the jobs for this month and cant see them listed. I am all out of sync this year.
Will be giving them another go as thats what we do, keep trying and failing.  ::) broad beans dont like me

compostqueen

Re: I should know this ( broad beans)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 15:43 »
Of course they do. Broad beans are easy
Put bean in ground
Stand back and wait
Eat  :tongue2:

Plant them in autumn or spring. I wait til Spring but you can sow them directly into the soil in November  :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 16:44 »
November better not buy yet then as i have never been good at waiting.

Mine always get chocolate spot, and keel over looking sorry for themselves, they start so well too  ???

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 17:18 »
I am delighted to find that I have just got a second bumper crop of broad beans. I cut them back after I had picked them all in spring and now they are producing again. I love broad beans. So it is strange to be thinking of sowing more at the same! But I am determined to try some autumn sown this year, so I am glad that you have reminded me.  :)

diospyros

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 17:54 »
I am delighted to find that I have just got a second bumper crop of broad beans. I cut them back after I had picked them all in spring and now they are producing again. I love broad beans. So it is strange to be thinking of sowing more at the same! But I am determined to try some autumn sown this year, so I am glad that you have reminded me.  :)

Oh - I do wish you hadn't said that, I had my cropping plan so neatly worked out for next year and it does not include leaving the broad beans in all summer for a second crop!

Totty

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 21:56 »
I think the choice in varietys  for overwintering broad beans is limited. Some of the spring sowing varieties are far higher yielding with better pest and disease resistance which makes it almost needless to sow in the autumn, then hope they all come through if we have a harsh winter. They may crop a couple of weeks earlier, but for less time and with lower yields IMO.

Totty

al78

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 22:26 »
I think the choice in varietys  for overwintering broad beans is limited. Some of the spring sowing varieties are far higher yielding with better pest and disease resistance which makes it almost needless to sow in the autumn, then hope they all come through if we have a harsh winter. They may crop a couple of weeks earlier, but for less time and with lower yields IMO.

Totty

If nothing else at least it means the soil is being cultivated over winter, which has got to be better than leaving it bare and exposed to the leaching effects of the winter rainfall.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 22:52 »
I definitely would wait until Spring. I'd never had such good crops until I gave up overwintering.

Totty

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:29 »

Totty

If nothing else at least it means the soil is being cultivated over winter, which has got to be better than leaving it bare and exposed to the leaching effects of the winter rainfall.

That's what green manures are for.

Totty

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 13:15 »
November better not buy yet then as i have never been good at waiting.

Mine always get chocolate spot, and keel over looking sorry for themselves, they start so well too  ???

Here November is too late. The secret is to plant them so that they just produce a couple of leave before the soil cools. They will then sit still until the first hint of Spring and grow away. Plant too early and the produce a leggy plant with 6/8 leaves which the frost will cut back.

This advice is only good for my area. Add your location to your profile and you may get better advice. It need not be very specific, South West or East anglia is good enough.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 14:32 »
Overwintering varieties such as Aquadulce Claudia can be planted now.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 14:38 »
I am going to try got plenty of space so why not. My location was in so not sure what happened  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 14:39 »
Make sure they are an overwintering variety,  BQ.

e.g.

‘The Sutton’
‘Aquadulce Claudia’
‘Witkiem Manita’

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 14:41 »
Make sure they are an overwintering variety,  BQ.

I was going to get the variety you said. Dont tell me there is a summer and winter version. My brain cant take that  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 14:41 »
I've added a few varieties to my post for you, BQ.

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 37 queries.