Chilli overwintering advice

• 25 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Chilli overwintering advice
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 16:45 »
I have 11 really healthy plants, and room for about 6.  :(

May have to see whether our unheated communal landing is light/warm enough for the unlucky 5...

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 16:50 »
I'm going to try overwintering mine in the conservatory this winter, but I'll be saving some seed in case they don't survive. Even if they do survive it's still tempting to start some from my own seed, but then where would they go? The present plants are taking up the best sunny windowsills :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 17:12 »
Ill certainly be bringing in a favoured few. I have overwintered choc habs in the past so will be bringing them in particularly as they have only just got going. My cayenne have also only just started to fruit so will be giving them a go too. The sweet / bell / jalepeno seem to get going better but I have never managed to get any of them through winter so will probably not bother trying with them again.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 17:25 »
I have discovered that chilli cuttings root easily, so anyone who is struggling for windowsill space for mature plants might find cuttings a better option.
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 19:00 »
That does sound like a good idea particularly with some of the bigger varieties. Worth a go and very little to lose. :D

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 20:02 »
Have been very interested to her some of you say that your chillies and peppers have only just begun to fruit. Same here. I thought it was just me. Havent heard of taking chilli cuttings before. Must try some. Thanks for the tip GYO Girl.

gobs

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 22:15 »
I was thinking of this today and as Jay already well hinted, needs to be pointed out that there are all so many different species/varieties, not all will have equally strong and long perennial habit.

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 12:13 »
1 website says a min of 16 degrees for the plant to survive.
so in a greenhouse would be too cold. a draft free windowsill seems the best way.

RHS website says a minimum of 12 degrees at night.  My son just bought a load of chillies home from the garden centre where he works as they were being thrown out so I think  will take a chance on leaving some of them in our frost free greenhouse and bring a couple inside.  I will harvest any chillies as they are ready and see if I can get any through the winter.  It would be nice to have some full sized plants to start next season as I find them very slow to grow from seed in the spring.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45 »
How wonderful to have a son working in a garden centre who brings home whats going to be thrown out! Very envious. I once rescued a 5p butternut squash from B&Q  which looked a sthough it ought to be thrown out - but it survived and I got 1 fruit.  I love plant rescue!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 14:37 »
Last year I didn't manage to over winter my chillies but partly to them getting greenfly infested and partly I completly forgot to water them!

I am going to try again, I have 5 chilli plants but I might have to select just a couple to overwinter!  They are currently all in my conservatory but will have to move the the living room when it starts to get colder!

Hannah :)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 18:13 »
How wonderful to have a son working in a garden centre who brings home whats going to be thrown out! Very envious. I once rescued a 5p butternut squash from B&Q  which looked a sthough it ought to be thrown out - but it survived and I got 1 fruit.  I love plant rescue!
Yes, we are really lucky - he works at Homebase actually and we get staff discount as he lives with us.  Happy days!

xx
overwintering chilli plants

Started by andtiggertoo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 21:41
by mashbintater
xx
overwintering chilli and pepper plants, any success?

Started by Ralphy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 16:44
by Ralphy
xx
Overwintering Herb garden advice

Started by dougens on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2022, 14:58
by Snowboar
xx
Chilli advice

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 23:54
by kermit

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 28 queries.