Red Onions

• 4 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
Red Onions
« on: September 13, 2013, 19:19 »
I now have only my garden that my wife always plants up each year but soon we will be clearing a raised border that is south facing, we both like red onions and was thinking as the border will be empty till late May/June I could try some onion sets in there, but can anyone advise me on what ones will be best and any tips on how to grow them as onion growing is new to me.

I'm lost without my SatNav.

3 allotments

• now is the time
Re: Red Onions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 19:38 »
hi you could give electric red winter onions a try, or red baron, click this link a bit of advice on onion growing http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-grow-winter-onions/223.html I plant in ground fertile, well drained soil not to much watering unless very dry works for me. you can use them as early green/spring onions, good luck,darren
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 19:42 by 2 allotments »
diggity dig dig

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 20:53 »
red baron have never let me down.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 23:19 »
Red Baron proves very good in my experience, too.

Nothing much you need doing with onions, but there is the link, too. Come on with questions, if you have a problem. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 23:21 »
I grew Electric and the redness is only on the outside, no purpley red rings inside.

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 37 queries.