Finding out if F1 or not.

• 6 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Finding out if F1 or not.
« on: September 11, 2013, 18:20 »
I'm pleased to find the chillies on my jalapeno plant going red, as I got the impression you needed quite early varieties for them to have any chance to ripen in this country and these were grown from a generic packet bought from B&M.

Having ripe jalapeno chillies poses an interesting possibility, whether to save seed from them. The problem being I don't know if they are a F1 hybrid or not, as the seed packet makes no mention of it. It's a "garden  treasures" hot and sweet peppers pack containing four varieties, the jalapeno packet containing the code "8b/258633". Google doesn't seem to know what to do with that code, plus attempts to find a seed database that may help haven't proved particularly successful.

Can anyone make any recommendations on how I'd find out whether these seeds could be saved or not, if possible at all?

Totty

Re: Finding out if F1 or not.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 18:24 »
If it has no mention of being an f1 on the packet, I'd be fairly certain they are not.
Save a few and give em a go.

Totty

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 18:39 »
I have saved and grown seeds from F1s I have tomatoes that are now F5s still produce good fruit.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 19:20 »
The chances of any non-F1 plant producing seeds true to the original depends on how easily it can cross-pollinate with other related species, so luck can come into the equation too.

Chillies are very good self-pollinators so the chances of becoming crossed with anything else are slight - I agree with Totty that your Jalapenos are unlikely to be F1's so all in all you should be OK saving seeds from them (and there's always the possibility of finding yourself with pumpkin-sized chillies and international fame next year!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gobs

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 19:32 »
I'd agree, there is nothing to lose. Maximum, they will be somewhat different.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 19:40 »
If they're just labelled jalapenos, then they aren't F1 they'd need to have their own variety name to be F1.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 20:16 »
Thank you for all the responses, I'll certainly give it a go :)

There has just been a few times when I've searched for varieties only to find them labelled F1 on some sites but not others. So thought I'd check if anyone knew how to identify them with that code.

xx
finding comfrey

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 22:10
by Madame Cholet
xx
finding comfrey in the wild

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 19:44
by Swing Swang
xx
Help finding a particular tomato variety, please?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 05, 2016, 12:04
by lettice
xx
Anyone else finding reduced seed availability?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2023, 10:30
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 38 queries.