R.I.P. Bunty

• 6 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
R.I.P. Bunty
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:35 »

Sad news, we lost Bunty (white)this morning. She had been coughing and wheezing so we put all the chickens on antibiotics and wormer and isolated her. She was definitely improving, hadn't lost weight, good colour, eating, no discharges, no smelly breath, clean white fluffy bottom. She laid an egg before 5.30 this morning and ate a good breakfast, then settled down to chunner at the lack of housekeeping in the junk room. Dave went off for more antibiotics and while he was trying to translate the pack I heard flapping and dashed off to find her on her back breathing her last. . We feel she might have had a heart problem as she was showing so few signs of being unwell, and certainly her respiration wasn't that bad, but over the days it might have put a strain on her heart.

So now I am chasing the chickens around the pen, head on sideways, trying to hear rattling breathing. The neighbours (and chooks) must think I'm barmy! We will have to pick them up more often as I have been told you can feel bad breathing starting before seeing any signs or hearing coughing.

Silly I know, to feel sad over a chicken, but it is the first adult I have lost and I had got quite fond of her over the last couple of days. She was so young and looked wonderful. :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: R.I.P. Bunty
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:48 »
aww so sorry you lost her but yes a heart condition can kill them very rapidly and without any warning signs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 13:18 »
I'm so sorry.   :(  We lost a hen to heart failure several years ago.  She had a ruckly chest and we thought she had a cold too.  The day before she died, she flew the length of our garden and seemed fit other than that sound she was making in her chest.  Your dear sweet hen had a very good life with you.  Gentle hugs.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 14:09 »
I had a dear hen called Bunty  :(  You are bound to become attached to them so it's only natural to be upset when you lose one, especially if she was only young.  I think there's no shame in loving our animals.  The world would be a much better place if everyone did!   :)

RIP Bunty

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 21:20 »
Sorry to hear you lost Bunty  :( 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 14:11 »
Thank you all. I must say it seems strange without her, she was white and now we have all brown and black, so all the more noticeable that she is not there. :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20 »
So sorry to hear about Bunty tosca.  :( You always have your memories of her and luckily you have immortalised her in the dust bath video. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 38 queries.