Buqqered by badgers...

• 30 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Buqqered by badgers...
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 17:55 »
Wah!  This happened to us last year, we were so upset that we didn't bother with corn this year.  Our cobs were looking lovely and pretty much ready to pick but no, we thought, the weather is set fair for the next few days, we will leave them and let them get a little sun on them and pick them at the weekend ready to cook and eat.  Went down to the plot a few days later and the whole lot had been decimated.  Looked like sasquatch had thumped its way round the plot.  Not a single blooming cob left  >:(

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 07:50 »
Mr badger and i will come to blows if he carries on he has trashed four cabbage beds, the strawberry bed and not to mention the new hole in my fence. A lot of repairing now needed, he also snacked on some more corn.

Ummmm badgers  >:(

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 15:20 »
BQ, Mrs G has just announced that badgers can scale a fence over a metre high, and even that needs an overhang...

I really was unaware of the damage these blighters can do, so next year, we'll do the corn at home, where we have rather stout garden walls!

Asermatterafac, the corn we planted was not the eatable variety as per normal cobs. Wemistakenly  bought the 'stir fry' stuff and it must have made the badgers say 'Badgger', and eventually allowed meto  pick about 15 cobs of very thin corn, which were left on 'The Patch'. They're in the freezer now, (the cobs, not the badgers) and I'll work out some sort of 'Nouveau Ukrainian' recipe to make them edible, but probably not this year, or any other year at this rate...;0)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 23:29 »
in actual fact they can scale 2 metres easily if no overhang
I cook therefore I grow

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 23:38 »
in actual fact they can scale 2 metres easily if no overhang

Then it's defintely 'The Turrets', and not 'The Patch' for the plants next year - thank you Rog!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 07:37 »
We have five foot half round posts driven in 2 foot plus to stop him and this works although they need to be very close, this means when he digs down he hits wood. We had the local badger man out at on of our association meets and he said this is one if the only options to stop the tunneling.

Its worked but we havent been all the way around the plots yet we are doing a panel at a time because if cost and because we have three plots and because time and babies keeo getting in the way of work  ::)

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 08:04 »
Here's a piccy of the 7' fence (sorry, I exaggerated before) the badger was seen climbing over http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUGuLasIEAAxQoa.jpg . The committee have had a plate added at the top in the hope that this will stop them....
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

Thrift

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 08:05 »
Well, I have just learned a lot about badgers - I too had no idea of their climbing ability.

I have seen no sign of them here, although after a neighbouring farmer lost 84 cows to tb a few weeks ago  :ohmy:, they have been blamed!

diospyros

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 08:27 »
Is there no way to stop them with repellent?  They are heavily nose-oriented - is Renardine banned now?  Male plotholders after a few beers and kebabs?

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 12:31 »
Mrs G has suggested that if you place a motion sensor light nearby, they would set it off, and it would maybe scare them away! I think this sounds a promising idea, so will investigate further...

diospyros

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 17:28 »
Or those ultra-sonic cat alarms? (which drive me crackers, I think I'm not supposed to be able to hear them at the age of 43 but I can...)

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 18:17 »
Spring Chicken, Diospyros!

You can hear everything...

...including badgers munching at my sweet corn..;0)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 22:24 »
Is there no way to stop them with repellent?  They are heavily nose-oriented - is Renardine banned now?  Male plotholders after a few beers and kebabs?
I have been told that men's urine will keep them out but have not tested this  :)

diospyros

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39 »
I have been told that men's urine will keep them out but have not tested this  :)

I wonder if the 14 year old will qualify!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 08:25 »

Dont work believe me  ::)

xx
Badgers!

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 17:42
by Markw
xx
badgers

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 07:47
by bailey
exclamation
badgers & sweetcorn

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 13:51
by Ema
xx
Are badgers a problem for veg?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 14:41
by veg lover

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 37 queries.