Autumn sowing

• 29 Replies

strider84

• Experienced Member
Autumn sowing
« on: September 06, 2013, 22:34 »
Hello,

I am thinking of autumn sowing peas and broadbeans, onions just wondering what everyones experience is from autumn sowings are they worth it? Is it more work than its worth? Do you sow direct? I have lots of fleece so can cover everything but would this be enough?

I only have broadbean seeds which are aquadulce so any suggestions on varieties that are worth growing over winter would be helpful.

If it is to much hassle I may just hang up the tools for winter...

Many thanks in advance.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Autumn sowing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 22:37 »
I don't see the point in growing peas early.

DD. says that it's just not worth trying to get them through the winter, and I believe him when it comes to peas!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 22:48 »
Aquadulce is supposed to be the best for over wintering. 
I tried it a couple of years under fleece cloches and the number of plants that survived winter was about half, and the spring planting mostly overtook and bettered the autumn planting.  I did get some earlier beans but maybe only one mealsworth. But that is in my part of the world, you might have milder winters where you are.
Anne

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 22:51 »
I only have broadbean seeds which are aquadulce so any suggestions on varieties that are worth growing over winter would be helpful.

That's the only one worth overwintering IME.

However, I always had some losses so I now sow in pots, under glass, in January, and then plant out once they have grown enough - that gets them past the worst of the Winter too, but still gets an early crop and plants that are robust (i.e. pretty much fully grown) when the blackfly arrive.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 22:52 by Kristen »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 23:03 »
I have tried overwintering peas and broadies... total waste of time.. Now I just get them in when the ground thaws out!! Winter onions - yes I do a packet or 2 each year to start eating as green onions on 1st may every year - brilliant filler gap till the main crop are ready to start eating and the winters are finished.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

jokey333

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 23:03 »
i overwinter broadbeans in my pollytunnel and have also overwintered them outside with different outcomes, some good some bad year!  i always overwinter my garlic and onion and get good crop of both

jo x

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 23:41 »
I don't bother starting broad beans off in the autumn. Ended up with none generally.
I sow mine direct in the ground end of jan-beginning of Feb under fleece and away they go. Hundreds of them :D

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 09:15 »
I've done autumn set broad beans for the last two years and have had great success. I grow "Meteor". They grow very tall, so make sure they are well supported.

seaside

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:26 »
Aquadulce are very hardy indeed. They've never failed me, and always produce before the blackfly.

So Aquadulce for me, but also the garden centre had some very cheap loose Imperial Longpod that are supposed to be somewhat Winter hardy according to some seed companies. I shall find out this Winter.
Aquadulce in modules and set out last week in October.
The more numerous Imperial sown direct in a couple of weeks. If they fail over Winter they will be dug in as manure.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40 »
For broad beans to survive the Winter they need to just have a couple of leaves before the cold weather arrives. They will sit like that until the Spring and then grow away quickly.  Plant them too soon and they will grow big and soft and no amount to fleece or other moddycoddling will save them.

Seaside's timing of the last week in October is about right. Modules are a good idea as that avoids them being dug up by mice.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 11:51 »
I have more broad bean seed than I know what to do with thanks to an offer on Seedparade, do I think I will start 30 off in small pots at the end of October and leave them in the blowaway.  Does anyone have any experience of over wintering Sutton beans?
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 13:02 »
I think you will be fine for autumn sowing broad beans as you are down south west. I'm in Cardiff and had great success with Aquadulce and Bunyard Exhibition sowed towards the end of October last year! Its also great that they were not affected by aphids which seems to come to life late June onwards. Not sure about peas as I never tried them, as DD says its pretty fast growing and hence not worthwhile to autumn sow.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 13:58 »
I grow peas through the winter....only not to harvest the peas.  I grow them in containers in the greenhouse. sow the seed very heavily, even touching each other is fine.  I let them grow to about say 8-10 inches high, chop them down, and put them in salads, they are delicious and you can really taste the pea flavor.  Some might say it's a waste of seed, but I love it.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 22:56 »
Not having a plot yet I am dependant on containers and the cost of having to replace the compost every year. When the choice is between enriching the used compost and sowing some overwintering crops, or throwing it and leaving the pots empty all winter, I'm willing to give it a go.

I had onions after last winter, some still around in pickled form and the greens dried to add to various foods, which I otherwise wouldn't have had if I didn't try overwintering them. This year I'm giving both onions and peas a go, certainly worth a try as I have nothing to lose but a bit of fertiliser. Gives me something to look after over the cold months as well.

snow white

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 15:22 »
Planted garlic under cloche mid Nov.  Not a very good crop.   Planted Sutton broad beans end Nov under plastic bottles.  Really pleased with 90% growth and an early prolific crop.   Planted shallots under cloch beg of Dec,  lost half but rest was fine.  Will do a spring planting next time.

xx
Autumn ? Winter sowing??

Started by petersson on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 05:39
by DD.
xx
sowing autumn onion sets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 15:15
by Gellideg
xx
Best Green Manures for Autumn sowing

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 13:32
by slow_worm
xx
Broad bean for autumn sowing?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 19:23
by japagow

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 37 queries.