An inspector calls............

• 17 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
An inspector calls............
« on: September 06, 2013, 20:20 »
A knock on the door yesterday 'I'm from the council and we've had a complaint about the smell from your chickens'!!!!!!!!!!!!

My not nice neighbours don't like me keeping hens (who are silent) - I don't think they know that its very popular for us suburbanites to keep hens. 

Anyway - after a good sniff of their sleeping area and the compost bin - and no smell whatsoever he concluded 'nothing untoward'...  but they will keep a two week record sheet (in case one of them farts presumably).........

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr >:(
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Mrs Bee

Re: An inspector calls............
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 21:12 »
Some people are just moaning, miserable, joyless ******.  :(

You have my sympathies with your neighbours. :(
And I am totally blessed with mine, who think it is great to have chickens as their neighbours, especially as they can buy our spare eggs.

We often have the local kids knocking and asking if they can come and visit our chooks.

Having chickens next door is far better than having barking, yapping dogs and the smell of hot dog's excrement on a sunny day.

Don't let it get you down.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01 »
My other neighbours (who are wonderful) will all be gifted eggs next year :).

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 12:46 »
That is appalling!  Some people need to get a life!   :mad: :mad:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 12:53 »
Our neighbours hated my chooks, i have forgotten to inform them that they have left because its funny listening to her moans in the garden when she thinks we are indoors.

I'd love her to report me now just so i could turn around and say what chickens. Some people are just stupid, i would rather hear chickens than a yappy dog.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 14:28 »
Some people are miserable so-and-sos  ::) I'm lucky as our neighbours like the chickens and often ask about them  :)

When the kids are coming home from school, they cock-a-doodle-doo as they pass our house.  If one of the boys answers them, they love it and you hear them excitedly boasting that it was them that got the reply :lol:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:26 »
The little girl next door used to bounce on her trampoline singing "cock-a-doodle-doo" to get the boys to answer her. I have had several disappointed comments from neighbours after rehoming my noisy boys but the person who  complained seemed so distressed it did not seem worth doing a survey at that point. Nice to hear a youngster crowing next door now though so hopefully he is far enough away from the 'back' neighbours not to be a problem for them. I do miss my spectacular sabelpoot boys though :(  Lets hope smell complaints don't start, although in this area we get occasional days of farmy smells anyway so can't imagine I will. But Nerdle, can't imaging 3 little pekin maids would smell anything other than lovely :)

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03 »
I have a neighbour like that he even complained to the council about our bins too close to his wall..I went round and said if he has a problem come and tell me to my face..havn't heard a peep off him since ;)

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 15:40 »
Some people should think about getting a life. Quite frankly I start to feel sorry for people who have nothing better to do than complain like that.

As far as smells are concerned, I know where our little staffy does her 'business' can get to pong a bit occasionally but I have never smelt anything from the hens' run  :)
Helen

Willow_Warren

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 16:05 »
When I was back living at my parents one of the neighbours complained to us about our chickens - one of the funniest was that they were apparently attracting foxes which was scaring his wife! (having lived there neigh on 25 years I had not seen an increase in fox activity since getting chickens).

When I moved our elderly neighbour asked asked my parents (they were house sitting at the time) if we knew that it was written in the deeds that poultry weren't permitted be kept at the property (we did but pleeded ignorance as we were renting and didn't get involved with the deeds).  He said he didn't mind though as he liked listening to their chirping and when we moved said he would miss them.

Just gotta love some people either way!

Hannah :)

Beano

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 15:01 »
I feel for you. I have a neighbour who complained to the council when he saw ONE rat in HIS garden. We have had the chickens for five years and this is the first rat he's seen and he still blamed it on the fact that we keep 6 chickens. Poppy our top chicken crowes in his direction every morning and wakes his dog up. He's complained about that to.
Someone told me that the best way to upset VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE is to ignore them, so I ignore him :D
Ignore yours as well.
El.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 15:40 »
Yes - 'igore' is the best policy for sure. 
I did put a letter through their door today though - to ask them to stop clipping my bushes - it didn't go down well - came back torn up!!!!

Strangely - I actually feel quite chirpy today so it isn't bothering me.  Got my girls resting near me on their towel (chirping/grooming/sleeping) while I work at  the computer - little darlings!!!!

snow white

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 15:46 »
Can you not complain to the police that he is criminally damaging your plants? Or would it just start a war!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 17:47 »
I did think about that but he is actually 'tidying it up'!  I just like it natural and not pruned and there is a big 'bite' missing from the end where has pruned near the neighbour who resides between our houses.
Criminal damage implies something had to be repaired or replaced I guess and I can only let it grow back.  I don't think he'll clip again now he knows I really don't like it.....

The garden is a wild jungle from here and my girls are safe - I'm happy with that.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 19:56 »
I must be blessed with good neighbours as i sometimes catch them watching the girls from there bedroom windows  :)
Pull up a perch!!

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.