I just made sauerkraut!

• 4 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

I just made sauerkraut!
« on: September 06, 2013, 13:23 »
A little over the top to be this excited but it actually worked!!!

I had got a big crock so a few weeks ago, with a great deal of encouragement from the OH who loves sauerkraut, I made a big batch up and left it to ferment.
Well it started smelling a bit bad recently and a quick peep suggested that it had all gone horribly wrong as there was mould on the top. It was decided that it would need to be thrown out as was clearly going to be inedible. My book does say that if there is mould it can be scraped off but I was pretty dubious.

Today finally got round to donning my rubber gloves to clear it out and what do you know, it was perfect under the thin top layer of scum (not a word I usually like associated with my food)! It tastes amazing and I'm not that much of a fan. The funny thing is that my OH now probably won't eat it as it is now associated with mould etc! I will heat can some for him to see if that will settle him. :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

8doubles

Re: I just made sauerkraut!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 14:00 »
A little over the top to be this excited but it actually worked!!!

I had got a big crock so a few weeks ago, with a great deal of encouragement from the OH who loves sauerkraut, I made a big batch up and left it to ferment.
Well it started smelling a bit bad recently and a quick peep suggested that it had all gone horribly wrong as there was mould on the top. It was decided that it would need to be thrown out as was clearly going to be inedible. My book does say that if there is mould it can be scraped off but I was pretty dubious.

Today finally got round to donning my rubber gloves to clear it out and what do you know, it was perfect under the thin top layer of scum (not a word I usually like associated with my food)! It tastes amazing and I'm not that much of a fan. The funny thing is that my OH now probably won't eat it as it is now associated with mould etc! I will heat can some for him to see if that will settle him. :D

Certainly no worse than the gunge one can see at a brewery ! :)
One does not let that put one off beer does one! :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 14:23 »
it's the thought of the mould that has always put me off trying to eat it - let alone make it  :blink:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 15:04 »
I think part of my problem might have been not enough brine to cover the top of the stones that weigh it all down. Once we've eaten this will have another go and see if I can make a batch that doesn't need rubber gloves to decant!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 15:26 »
When you have the cabbage shredded, you need to hand toss it with the salt, and then mash it into the crock with a potato masher so it's packed down tight and starts making juices. Do the mashing in layers so it's easier. By the time you get to the top you should have more than enough brine to cover the top. I use a dinner place turned upside down and jars filled with water to hold down the plate.

There will always be some scum on fermented foods. It's how the magic happens, so don't fret. Simply take it off with either a wooden spoon or wearing rubber gloves, and set back the plate and water jars. I cover mine with a towel on top to keep out fruit flies. When I'm lazy, I buy mine from a local religious group who make theirs in 55 gallon barrels and there's always scum. They remove as many layers as necessary to get to the good stuff (tasting as they go along).

Oversalting is death to good kraut. About 3 tbsp per 5 lbs of weighed out cabbage is the usual ratio. Doesn't seem much but it works. Hope yours worked out nicely.

xx
Sauerkraut

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 13:03
by scabs
xx
So far, we've made...

Started by Oscar Too on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:53
by compostqueen
thumbup
I made some.......

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 19:25
by Patricia
xx
has any one made

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2015, 22:19
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 37 queries.