Need Urgent Advice

• 28 Replies

Eblana

Re: Need Urgent Advice
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 20:12 »
Sorry folks for not updating - I am in the process of taking redundancy in work so getting access to a computer isn't easy at the moment (I have a trainee shadowing me!).

I rang the site owners son who went up first thing the following morning and let them out and gave them water and feed (he has chickens himself so he knew what to do).  He managed to get their number off his father and rang the owners they had actually come up after I left (on their way home from work) and discovered themselves that the opener had failed and had fed and watered them and given them a little time outside before they put them back into bed so all was ok.  Hopefully they have the coop opener working now but at least I now know that if the girls aren't out early in the day that there is something wrong and will do something about it.

Thanks for all the help.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 21:55 »
Well done you and several of us can sleep easy now as well!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 00:04 »
Woohoo well done :)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 16:37 »
Phew..no harm done then I guess, if theyre all okay...for me though, it just shows you cant totally rely on electronic gadgets, programmable thingies etc etc...says me sat writing on a forum, swearing that I'd never be surfing the internet many a year ago!  Glad this had a happy ending, and well done to you for looking out for these hens.

ghost61

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 16:52 »
Even if it had worked the owners hadn't left any food or water for the hens. Hopefully they have learned from this, but I'd keep my eye on them for a while.

rogersimons

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 18:48 »
the new chicken gaurd auto opener has a low battery indicator now so you can tell if they are running low.even tho i have have one myself i still check them every morning and night i just dont have to get up at silly oclock to let them out  :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 22:42 »
Should always change batts 2/3 day before a trip anyway.

helens-hens

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 15:31 »
Glad this had a happy ending.

I have a VSB automatic pop hole opener which never fails to close but can be unreliable opening (there is a little pivot arm that the cord runs through inside that sometimes sticks for no apparent reason) so if away I always make sure somebody can pop around quickly in the morning if only to quickly check that it has worked and the girls are out in their run.

I wouldn't be without the VSB but would recommend not relying on them 100%.
Helen

Eblana

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 18:43 »
Went up yesterday and there are now 4 ladies and they were all wandering all over the place.  They have increased the size of the run (the one that is part of the coop is very small) but they have only used 1 mtr high chicken wire and of course the ladies can get out over it.  I don't hold out a whole lot of hope for these girls, Mr Fox will have no problem getting them.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 22:40 »
Not much you can do about an idiot keeper :(

ghost61

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 06:57 »
True, but so unfair on the hens. Can you have another word with the site owners son? He may be able to point out the problems diplomatically?

Eblana

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 22:25 »
I was talking to one of the other plot holders tonight.  Apparently one of the girls was found heading out the gate of the site earlier today by the plot owners son when he came up to check on his own girls.  He had to round them all up and put them into the run with his own girls while he contacted the owners again - don't think they are going to be too popular!!  The plot owners son has moved around some rabbits etc. that he keeps in runs and has lent them one until the weekend to give them time to construct a proper run that is escape and fox proof.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 18:39 »
When I think of how we agonised over making sure our coop, run and enclosure were safe and how I trawled the net for advice and guidance so that all was as good as it could be before we actually got our girls, I never cease to be astounded by the sheer number of people who get chickens seemingly on a whim and bung them in all manner of makeshift coop/run arrangements...... well they're only chickens aren't they?? :unsure: 

We have friends who thought it would be trendy to have hens and have spent a fortune on a designer coop and all the top notch, matching accessories, coloured egg boxes, egg skelter etc. but their 3 poor hens never set foot out of their run, which is only about 150cm x 50cm, because they dig things up  :( . Well, yes they will because they're chickens and chicken love to dig so do need to be supervised if you have a nice garden.

Ours have a (totally fox proof) 3m x 2.5m run within a secure enclosure that is about 12m x 6m - and they still moan if we don't let them out to completely free range in the garden (and dig up the potatoes if they get half a chance) every day for at least an hour!!! There's just no pleasing some chickens! Spoilt they are!! ;)
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 09:45 »
So your hens are spoilt?  Mine came in for a rest on the towel in the living room yesterday and love the fan heater :tongue2:

xx
URGENT advice please

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 10:47
by poultrygeist
xx
URGENT - Help/advice please!

Started by cammi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 22:37
by OpiumEater
xx
URGENT ADVICE!!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 18:49
by woodside farm
xx
Urgent advice please

Started by cammi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 19:47
by Casey76

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 28 queries.