Blightful

• 21 Replies

jerrynl

Blightful
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:30 »
So I've just been to the plot to rescue as many green tomatoes as I could now that blight's devastated the plants. I've now got 20 kilos of the things and I want to ripen them. But has anyone ideas how to ripen so many? I'd need a drawer half a mile long doing it the traditional way. Does it matter if they're piled up together or should my toms not touch each other?

jerrynl

Blightful
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33 »
My tomatoes on the plot have got destroyed by blight again. Within a week, from a fine healthy crop to plague plants  :(  Same thing happens every year. My question then is - can anything be done about blight? Or do I just put tomatoes on my list of plants not to be grown on the plot?
BTW - I have rescued kilos of green tomatoes, so if you have advice on that, there's a thread over at the storing veg board ;-) 

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Blightful
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:52 »
I've merged your two threads together Jerrynl given that they are on the same subject.

Once tomatoes get past the small, hard and green stage, and are preferably becoming a little lighter in colour, they should ripen well off the plant.

I put mine in ex-supermarket plastic boxes on a sunny windowsill, but anywhere warm will do.

Yes, you can ripen them together and in layers, which will actually help by helping to trap the ethylene gas they produce which aids ripening, but make sure you turn and check them regularly because some may have got the blight infection already (they start to go a muddy brown inside.)

Sorry your plants have been struck down  - we all get nervous at this time of year!  :unsure:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:52 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36 »
That's a shame  :(
The only thing to do, in future, is to spray with a copper based preventative treatment, such as this

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/f/Fruit-and-Vegetable-Disease-Control.aspx

I presume there will be a similar product available if you can't get this one  ;)

jerrynl

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 13:06 »
Thanks for the advice. They're now beside me in a banana box. Fingers crossed at least a reasonable amount ripen and I can knock up some sauce for the freezer.
They seem to get blight every year, so it would be nice to have something to deal with it. But it needs to be organic. A quick google suggests baking soda spray, which might be worth a blast :-)
I can see I'm going to end up going through the same desperate finger crossing and disappointment next year, aren't I? Ah, the joys of veg...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 13:23 »
Bordeaux Mixture (also copperbased) is an organic treatment, depends how you feel about spraying copper on your veg  :dry:

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 18:54 »
Stick a couple of apples in the box with them.

seaside

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 19:20 »
That's a shame  :(
The only thing to do, in future, is to spray with a copper based preventative treatment, such as this

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/f/Fruit-and-Vegetable-Disease-Control.aspx

I presume there will be a similar product available if you can't get this one  ;)

Mos, as you know this product, do you know if this particular Bayer copper based treatment is for "organic" use, or just legal use ?
I ask, because I can't find any reference to it being organic, which is normally shouted from the rooftops. And of course there is already something in the pipeline that perhaps the "generic" copper based "Bordeaux mixture" is soon to be wiped off the "organic list".
It's a bit of a minefield out there, where the demarcations are unfortunately becoming more and more blurred to such an extent that "legally licensed" seems to be replacing "organic" for all intents and purposes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 19:23 by seaside »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 19:51 »
I don't really know much about it, only that it is legal spray - it was designed to replace Dithane, which was used previously by many members - but got banned.

jerrynl didn't say he wanted to be organic, until after I'd posted the link.

seaside

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 20:34 »
No sweat Mos. Just thought you might have a heads up on the particular product. I'm always on the look out for an organic magic bullet, even if it does come from someone like Bayer.
Jerry from Nl, like me it would appear, wants to grow "organically" in the old sense of the word, and it is slowly becoming more and more difficult to disseminate any real information at all these days.
In my opinion it really does seem as if "legally licensed" is the new "organic" in a Soil association/EU/Westminster sponsored version of Newspeak... beep...this vehicle is reversing.

Very sad. it looks as if the only safe and legal way forward is to buy none of these pesticide products at all, and just follow the age old maxim..... if you can't grow it without pesticide aids, you shouldn't be growing it... grow something else that likes your aspect.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 20:42 by seaside »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 22:17 »
and not have potatoes - that's a very big ask  :ohmy: even organic farmers are worried about Bordeaux mix going - they'll have nothing left to fight it with.

jerrynl

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 12:29 »
and not have potatoes - that's a very big ask  :ohmy: even organic farmers are worried about Bordeaux mix going - they'll have nothing left to fight it with.

Has anybody out there tried this baking soda idea? I've no idea whether that counts as strictly organic either, but given that I eat more of that than I do lumps of copper, I might feel a bit more comfortable. If it works and saves me toms.
Which I'll need to do something - I got given seeds for my birthday the other day, including lots of fancy varieties of tomatoes.   :dry:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 12:52 »
I'm afraid that the EU in all its wisdom classifies fungicides as pesticides, and if not tested and licensed for use as such all home-made remedies are technically illegal for use in EU countries for that purpose, so we wouldn't be able to recommend using baking soda on this forum anyway.  ::)

As to whether it actually works or not I can't help thinking that if something as cheap as that was effective against a disease as unforgiving as blight everyone would be using it, legal or otherwise!

seaside

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 15:00 »
As to whether it actually works or not I can't help thinking that if something as cheap as that was effective against a disease as unforgiving as blight everyone would be using it, legal or otherwise!
Not necessarily JG. They want to bamboozle you into submission :). Your logic might appear to be sound in a fair and above board world, but then many years ago most food products were happily dispensed in brown paper bags that were perfectly healthy. But that still didn't stop the oil/plastics industry barging in, sensing a multi billion dollar wheeze, citing untruthfully disease and pestilence, and taking over, creating a market for themselves where there was no need, and giving us the ludicrous result that some food products now cost more to package and deliver across the globe than the cost of the actual food content itself. Madness.
In healthcare, many perfectly serviceable safe and effective herbal treatments of hundreds of years were made illegal overnight, only for those very same herbs to be exclusively industrially grown and processed on a massive scale by those companies.
And if they can find a way of crowbarring in another lucrative farming market for some cheap mineral they mine or some monstrous chemical process they have exclusive rights on, they will, regardless of whether there is already a cheap, effective and natural solution being employed. I would go further in saying these companies have an interest in not solving issues like blight, but actually finding it preferable the disease remains everywhere.
Some old natural plant care remedies are not used, not because they are not effective, but purely because some big industrial Baron with a stick says it's illegal.
Let's be real here.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 15:05 by seaside »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 16:14 »
I don't think this forum, and particularly this thread, is the right place to be discussing global conspiracy theories in the world of business, and in any event your reply does not address the question about whether humble baking powder prevents or cures blight, not that I was actually looking for the answer (for the reason already explained.)

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 39 queries.