Sweet Bell Pepper Problem

• 19 Replies

Snoop

Re: Sweet Bell Pepper Problem
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41 »
I've grown assorted varieties of red, green and yellow peppers. The only ones I've had any real success with are the Asti red and yellow ones from Seeds of Italy.

I grow in Spain and had comments from a few of the locals (who've had allotments in the family for generations) that they'd never seen such good peppers as these, so they must be OK.

The other thing is that the ones you buy in the supermarkets will probably be grown under plastic in the south of Spain or even further south (north Africa). Conditions will be very different to anything that we (including me) can provide. By and large, people where I live don't expect to start picking good red peppers until September. So anyone picking a decent red pepper in August is ahead of the game!

gobs

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 23:17 »
Not really a problem I suppose - a query ???

I've been growing bell peppers for years but they simply aren't as good as shop bought ones
They get a decent size but there is no flesh on them - bell peppers are supposed to be thick with juicy flesh but mine are very thinly fleshed which makes the skin seem almost tough ???

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

They are simply dry. A lot of vegetables are a great part water. To grow good fleshy peppers, you ideally need to soak them just about daily.

This is the same with greenhouse grown and outdoor grown (same varieties - 'Bell Boy' previously, 'Jolly Rosso' this year?

They seem to be ready but they are all green - am I picking too early??

Thanks in anticipation for your advice and counsel :D

If you want them to keep cropping, you need to use/pick green and half ripened fruit. Once they turn red, they start to grow seed.

Varieties can be very differently behaved though. I'm not growing bells. It's a commercial product. I like to grow more natural varieties. So I'm not much knowledged on them in more detail.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 23:29 »
Varieties can be very differently behaved though. I'm not growing bells. It's a commercial product. I like to grow more natural varieties. So I'm not much knowledged on them in more detail.

I love stuffed peppers and you need a decent size to stuff! :D
And that big pepper I picked yesterday that turned out to be very fleshy (for once) was indeed stuffed and eaten by my OH for tea!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 23:30 by devonbarmygardener »

Willow_Warren

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 13:49 »
Well I had red pepper risotto on Friday with home grown peppers  :D (yummy by the way!)

Can't remember the variety it was in Wyevales 50p seed sale last year.

I have 4 pepper plants, 3 decent ones and 1 rather poorly one.  They have been in a cold frame type grow house outside (I don't have a greenhouse) - the roof has been hinged open all summer though as they grew too big to close the lid.  They are a little cramped in there... but I spy qutie a few turning red which is very exciting for me as this is the larges success I have had with peppes. I've not really counted how many there are on the plant or how many I'm lightly to yield before the plants sucum to the cold, but I'm happy with what I have  :D

However quite a few of my peppers have brown patches on them?  Does anyone know what the cause is?  I just chopped around and used the rest of it anyhow...

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 20:59 »
Blossom end rot most likely ;)

xx
Bell-Pepper Toppepo Rosso anyone?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 22:42
by Trillium
xx
Looking for higher yield from a bell-type pepper

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2023, 12:11
by hasbeans
xx
Suggestions for a good bell pepper, please, and aubergine

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 19:27
by andy135
xx
Sweet pepper variety

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 12:50
by Debz

Page created in 1.334 seconds with 37 queries.