Sweet Bell Pepper Problem

• 19 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Sweet Bell Pepper Problem
« on: September 01, 2013, 00:44 »
Not really a problem I suppose - a query ???

I've been growing bell peppers for years but they simply aren't as good as shop bought ones
They get a decent size but there is no flesh on them - bell peppers are supposed to be thick with juicy flesh but mine are very thinly fleshed which makes the skin seem almost tough ???

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

This is the same with greenhouse grown and outdoor grown (same varieties - 'Bell Boy' previously, 'Jolly Rosso' this year?

They seem to be ready but they are all green - am I picking too early??

Thanks in anticipation for your advice and counsel :D

BabbyAnn

Re: Sweet Bell Pepper Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:09 »
I haven't got advice or counsel as I also find bell peppers are not as juicy and crisp as I'd like - I've grown them in the greenhouse and outdoors too with the same result, even using seed from the ones I've bought.  These days I just let them ripen (if it starts to get too cold, I'll harvest and bring indoor as they need warmth unlike toms that ripen in the presence of ethylene), chop and freeze, and use in cooking for colour and flavour. 

seaside

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:46 »
It can be an issue, yes, and if not variety, I have always assumed it to be the growing conditions. Maybe the commercial growers have perfect conditions to encourage quick tender growth. I've noticed that peppers, and even tomatoes for that matter, that take too long to grow in less than favourable conditions, have tougher skins.
My greenhouse bell peppers, along with a longer maturing long sweet pepper, are a lot better with this year's good weather and are just on the turn to red. I have never managed that before the end of August in the past. They certainly look the part and flesh feels  better than in the past, and even the plants themselves appear more sappy. I will keep you informed after the taste test later this week.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:06 by seaside »

Kirpi

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44 »
No solution I'm afraid, but the same observation - no moisture to the fruit flesh, despite being watered plenty. Mine were grown on a warm spare bedroom window sill facing south.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31 »
I take the odd one or 2 off green but mostly leave them to go ripen for best flavour.

They've beenbetter this year, but I've still had the odd thin walled one - I think they need more regular watering as they don't seem to grow as big a root system as tomatoes. I'm going to get a cheap drip system for mine for next year, to see if that helps.

This pdf about the RHS trials always amazes me with the quoted yields - cos I'm lucky if I get 6 fruits from my plants  :nowink:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/getattachment/972eb3da-7b97-41b6-b38b-8a7a545f2271/Sweet-peppers.aspx
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:53 by mumofstig »

Sparkyrog

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:43 »
I take the odd one or 2 off green but mostly leave them to go ripen for best flavour.

They've beenbetter this year, but I've still had the odd thin walled one - I think they need more regular watering as they don't seem to grow as big a root system as tomatoes. I'm going to get a cheap drip system for mine for next year, to see if that helps.

This pdf about the RHS trials always amazes me with the quoted yields - cos I'm lucky if I get 6 fruits from my plants  :nowink:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/getattachment/972eb3da-7b97-41b6-b38b-8a7a545f2271/Sweet-peppers.aspx
An interesting read  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:53 by mumofstig »
I cook therefore I grow

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:02 »

Me too - don't think I've even got to 6 despite growing indoors on a sunny windowsill.  :nowink:

Best ones were a traditional red bell pepper a few years ago - very thick juicy walls with an exceptionally good sweet flavour that I've never experienced from supermarket peppers before or since.

Unfortunately it was from a packet of (unnamed) mixed sweet peppers so I have no idea what variety it was, nor was I able to repeat the success the following year (yellow pointy peppers  ::)) so I can't really help, other than to suggest that the RHS and other independent reviews probably carry more weight than the seed producers' own glowing descriptions of everything they sell  ::), plus of course don't buy packets of mixed pepper seeds!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:56 »
That was a good read - thanks mum :D
Glad to know it's not just me getting poor fleshed fruits/berries!
I don't think I have enough heat in my garden most years to grow them well enough - I get enough peppers - have certainly had more than 6 in previous years but not to any degree of deliciousness and certainly not 'stuffable' :(

May not bother trying again next year - not in the greenhouse anyway - space is too much of a premium in there!

seaside

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 11:46 »
"Vectored by thrips " .... sounds painful  :)
Very useful that link.

I think part of the secret is in the meticulous growing method.... mushroom compost prepared the year before, growing at 18 degrees by mid April ( probably heated or controlled in some way ), and continuous dilute feeding. In situ and romping away before the end of May.
If one looks at the stems of sweet peppers in shops, they are also rather thick and hints at the sort of plant needed for thick walled fruits .... very healthy indeed.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 13:00 »
A lot of commercially produced ones are grown hydroponically and/or on grafted plants.  We did have grafted sweet and chilli pepper plants at work earlier this year, but I didn't think to buy one.

Have tried the grafted aubergine (very good) and tomatoes (not so fussed - very productive but not that tasty).  Peppers can be an experiment for next year  :)   We also had grafted cukes, but they flew out, closely followed by the aubergines so I didn't get my plant this year  ::)

My best results so far with normal ones from seed have been from Seeds of Italy.  Big plants that need a fair bit of space, but very productive  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 13:20 »
which of their varieties did you grow?

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 14:36 »
I might try a grafted pepper next year - the grafted aubs have been and are still amazing, the grafted 'Sweet Million' toms have been the tastiest and worth doing of the 3 grafted toms ('Shirley' and 'San Marzano' - pretty much same quality as seed sown.
Grafted cukes - genius!! ;) 8) will DEFINITELY grow again next year with the aubs.

The pepper I picked yesterday had heck of a thick stem on it - it was trapped between the main stalks of the plants so it's a funny shape ::) and it fell off when I tried to move it!! :lol:

I'm making gemista (stuffed peppers) later for tea and will see what it is like inside seaside post pics

I'm interested about the Seeds of Italy ones being good - perhaps we should all put some pennies in and share a packet of seeds next year!! :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 15:44 »
which of their varieties did you grow?

After a quick ruffle in the seed box - have not got the round ones any more, but have the pointy ones I tried, which are Rubens.  They are fairly thick fleshed and very prolific and tasty  :) 

Just had a look on their web site to see if I could find the round ones.  Can't see a packet which rings a bell and the Rubens are no longer on there either.  They are generous with their seeds, so have loads of Rubens if you want me to post you a few DBG  :)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 15:53 »
I'll give that some thought - thanks :)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 21:20 »
Now I know I started this thread ::) seems I might not have too much of a problem!!
I cut open the green pepper that fell of the plant yesterday - I was interested that seaside mentioned big fat stalks bode well - I'm pleased to tell you that it is true!! :D

This is THE BEST pepper I've ever grown.
The one I picked last week however was thin-walled and rubbish - so this lovely fleshy pepper may be a one off!

Time will tell ::) :D
my pepper 2013 2.jpg
My Pepper 2013.jpg

xx
Bell-Pepper Toppepo Rosso anyone?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 22:42
by Trillium
xx
Suggestions for a good bell pepper, please, and aubergine

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 19:27
by andy135
xx
Looking for higher yield from a bell-type pepper

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2023, 12:11
by hasbeans
xx
sweet pepper problems

Started by steampig on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 13:58
by steampig

Page created in 0.617 seconds with 38 queries.