Not a single ladybird

• 15 Replies

Grubbypaws

Not a single ladybird
« on: August 31, 2013, 15:52 »
I haven’t seen a single ladybird in my garden this year. I have googled it and everyone seems to be putting it down to the weather earlier in the year.

Could that really have caused there to be none? I am a completely organic gardener so I am not poisoning any. If there are none this year, none will have mated and there will be none next year.

I am really worried.

Trillium

Re: Not a single ladybird
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 16:05 »
Ladybirds do tend to like warmer weather, so that's one good possibility. Even though my areas has been hot and sunny all summer, I just saw my first ladybird last week....as I climbed into bed  :D It had hooked onto the laundry we'd just brought in from drying and now wanted out.

Even though you are organic and don't spray insecticide, many others aren't and do spray. Many beneficial bugs, including bees, have taken a huge toll this year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 16:40 »
Just the one here all summer, but virtually no aphids either, even on some flowering plants which usually attract blackfly like magnets.

Not likely to see many ladybirds if there are no aphids - possibly the weather has affected them both equally?  :unsure:

(Ducks below parapet in anticipation of an volley of posts like "Oi, it's Aphid Central here!"  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 16:41 »
Pretty much the same here. I have seen only two and that was recently. I usually have loads. I have also had zero greenfly  and you get ladybirds when their food source is available. The greenfly were possibly knocked out by the snow and deep frosts at the end of March. I was discussing this with small grandson last week and we were hoping this years ladybirds had not starved.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 16:45 »
As per my thread, I have hundredses of Ladybugs. I'm still finding them everywhere!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 16:51 »
Looking at the posts there seems to be a bit of a north south divide. Was it just a lot colder in the north of the country? I was abroad from March-June so missed a lot of the fun.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 16:52 »
Well, Rowan 57, they must have all flown south for their holidays

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 16:55 »
I think the worst of the March snow affected a fairly limited area (right here being part of it!  :ohmy:)

MrsLev

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 17:14 »
I was just saying to Himself that we've seen more ladybirds this year than I've ever seen before, so maybe they have all migrated (can't blame them really, I migrated from Scotland myself 6 years ago and it is a wee tad chilly up there!). Although to bring balance we have been over run with aphids so its just as well a lot of Ladybirds have chosen to holiday in Costa Del Pompey!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 18:42 »
I even found one on my shoulder when I got in the car on the way back from the plot just now!

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 18:57 »
Just the one here all summer, but virtually no aphids either, even on some flowering plants which usually attract blackfly like magnets.

Not likely to see many ladybirds if there are no aphids - possibly the weather has affected them both equally?  :unsure:

(Ducks below parapet in anticipation of an volley of posts like "Oi, it's Aphid Central here!"  :lol:)

I think that is spot on. Without aphids to feed on the ladybird population will not increase rapidly. I am sure there will be enough to overwinter and come out next Spring.

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 19:07 »
Saw plenty of ladybird larvae in the spring but not many adults since then. Haven't seen one for a few weeks now.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 19:17 »
I have seen some sitting on my dalek compost digester looking lethargic. I think they are starving as there are no aphids around.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 19:37 »
Same here in London- loads of them around when I was overrun with blackfly on my beans, but they've moved on now they've cleared them up.  There's still a few about, mostly on runners and pumpkins, but not as many as in July.

diospyros

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 19:43 »

xx
Ladybird, ladybird fly away home!!

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 20:08
by New shoot
xx
first ladybird

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 21:44
by casper
xx
Ladybird house....

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 11:19
by courgette
xx
Are these ladybird eggs?

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 19:11
by rcf100

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 37 queries.