nest boxes

• 5 Replies

mollymuggles

nest boxes
« on: August 29, 2013, 13:28 »
hi all, this may be a silly question but how often should i change the straw in my chickens nest boxes ?the same straw has been in for three months now, should it have been changed before now? you may have guessed that i am a beginner at keeping chickens, many thanks.

ghost61

Re: nest boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 17:13 »
I change mine every month when I scrub out the hen house. In between times I top it up, as the hens can throw it around a bit, and also puff some DE on it to help re unwelcome guests!

mollymuggles

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 21:08 »
thanks very much for replying, as i said earlier i am a complete novice, what do you mean when you said use de ?

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:15 »
Diatomaceous earth. Great stuff. I also use Hemp bedding in the nest boxes which contains citronella oil that keeps the flies away. I have had no sight of any flies either in or outside the henhouse (my birds are kept in a run the majority of the time), despite the explosion of blue bottles this year! DE lasts for ages as you don't need to top it up,that frequently. By sitting in the nest boxes and so getting a bit of this stuff on their feathers and legs, it helps keep away nasties (at least it seems to as I have not had any problems at all with red mite, ticks, fleas or other things!)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:35 »
Think it also depends on how many hens are using the nest box....I have 5 hens, and change the bedding/straw once a week, besides a powdering of DE.  I have 3 nestboxes, and they all use the same one.  Someone tends to leave the odd dropping in the nest, so once a week works for me.

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55 »
I agree. I have three hens and they use the same nest box for laying, and at the moment they take it in turns to sleep in the other nest box - presumably because they want a bit more room given the sticky nights. Btw they do have lots of room in the hen house, but they usually like to cuddle up to each other in a small area of it! If you can picture it, two on the roost and one in front, so that they can have a night time chat before going to sleep (and they do, believe me!!). Daily check is needed for the nest boxes to ensure they are poo free and dry. I also remove the poo from the tray under the roosts daily.

xx
Poo in nest boxes

Started by mantha on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 10:44
by mantha
xx
Nest boxes

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 18:42
by nzdunn
xx
Nest boxes

Started by snowdrops on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2019, 18:41
by grinling
xx
nest boxes

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 17:08
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 36 queries.