Potato Scab Questions

• 24 Replies

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Scab Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 21:23 »
All of mine look the same as yours MickyB. I will try a different variety next year

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 23:23 »
These are the worst affected variety by far, I peeled some today and not only do they have scab but they are full of deep holes after peeling I was left with less than half of what I started with.  :(

I will also select more carefully next year.

Salmo

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 23:59 »
The Maris Piper spuds look very badly affected by scab  :(
Take a look at the Potato Council variety disease ratings and you will see why.

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Maris Piper

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 01:23 »
Thanks for the link, it is a very informative site and will be handy when choosing which crops to try next season, I especially like the search facility. Olympus scores the highest for common scab resistance although the second highest score gives 16 different varieties to choose from, so loads of scope. The Maris Piper score really low, the King Edwards quite high, I got scab on the King Edwards so the M. Pipers didn't really stand much of a chance - I will definitely not be growing those again next year! I only wish I have known before - I have twice as many M. Piper as I have anything else.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 17:56 »
Have my spuds got common scab, powdery scab or both? (photo's on page one), I keep looking and cannot decide.  ???

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 18:31 »
I am on sandy soil and I use sulphur granules sprinkled along the ridges after planting the spuds this makes the soil more acid and reduces the scab.

Salmo

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 00:02 »
Have my spuds got common scab, powdery scab or both? (photo's on page one), I keep looking and cannot decide.  ???

Difficult to tell, but from what I can gather common scab tends to form above the surface and powdery also forms pits with brown powdery spores.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 21:02 »
After giving it some thought I have concluded that I am probably worrying about the wrong thing, the scab peels off OK and although it doesn't look pretty it is limited mainly to the surface of the spud, what is doing the most damage to the spuds are the slugs, therefore I figure it would be more sensible to look for a slug resistant variety (if one exists) rather than worry about the scab.

Do slug resistant potatoes exist, if so which ones? The potato council site lists a few diseases that I have never heard of - do any of those relate to slug resistance?

I have noticed that some of my spuds still have slugs inside them, what would be the best course of action with these potatoes, can I store them or will the slugs just carry on munching away?

I was thinking about making them into chips for storage, is there a correct way to do this? I have an Actifry - not sure if this makes any difference but I thought I should mention it.

Are the potato cherries OK to dig back in the soil?

Sorry for the amount of questions!

Salmo

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 21:51 »
Read the post a few down "Waah!!!!My poor spuds" and you will find this list

http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/slug-resistant-seed-potatoes
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 21:52 by Salmo »

MrsLev

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 22:22 »
For storage you could go down the 'double cooked' chip route, but just do the first fry then freeze ready to hot fry later on. You could also parboil them drain, shoogle them in a colander, spread out on a baking sheet and freeze( you can put in bags once frozen, the sheet freezing will stop them sticking together) then roast in hot oil when you want roasties.

xx
Potato Scab

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 20:12
by sunshineband
xx
Potato Scab

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 21:18
by Jay The Digger
thumbdown
Potato Scab

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 07:24
by sunshineband
xx
what causes potato scab?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 10:23
by rachelsco

Page created in 0.648 seconds with 36 queries.