Anyone harvested Butternut Squash yet?

• 31 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Anyone harvested Butternut Squash yet?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 19:14 »
Best not pick green Bnuts as they are not ripe and this may affect taste and storage life.
You can cut them after the green has changed to yellow and harden them in a sunny window etc.
It is common to get the barrel shaped Bnuts like Annens , they fit the roasting dish better ! :)
I don't think mine are going to turn brown or yellow.  They are showing no signs of it at all.  the first one I grew from a different plant was green mottled and then went brown, but these aren't the same at all.
Anne

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 19:38 »
They will be ok on the plant till frost threatens so i would leave them be.
Patience is a virtue with winter squash, they also improve in flavour after being stored for a month or two ! :)

wighty

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 19:52 »
Oh dear, made a mistake then didn't I. thought I was doing the right thing, oh  well. lesson learnt, but I may surprise you all yet.

Totty

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 21:49 »
I would leave them to ripen as long as poss in the vine. Had a Turks turban plant which had died off today. Good crop. I'll leave em n the sun for a while to cure them a little.

Totty
image.jpg

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28 »
I would leave them to ripen as long as poss in the vine. Had a Turks turban plant which had died off today. Good crop. I'll leave em n the sun for a while to cure them a little.

Totty

I fancy trying these next year.  What us the flavour like please?  My fave is butternut.
Thanks.
LL xx

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 17:21 »
Mine seemed to have failed miserably  >:(  It's pretty much the only thing I've sown which we haven't had success with...I can't see any fruits anywhere - loads of flowers just no fruit.

Kirpi

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 19:58 »
Vines still green and growing here in Cornwall, so not yet. Keeping a weather eye out for the first frosts.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 21:08 »
I seem to have great crop in the polytunnel with at least 8 fruits from just three plants but the outdoor plantings are a waste of space with lots of flowers but not a single fruit

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 21:16 »
Glad I'm not the Not the only one with this problem. All other winter squash have set well but not butternut and I can't work out why. I'll look at some different varieties next year

ghost61

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21 »
I grow Butterboy and last year only got three fruits from 2 plants. This year, two plants and I have about 20. Most are about 15in long and a good width too. Have done nothing different, as I don't feed them and hardly ever water them. Think it is the year for fruits and only hope they keep through the winter successfully. Am thinking of putting them in the attic as I saw that somewhere....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29 »
Most winter squashes need a half-decent summer to thrive, and butternuts are usually regarded as the most demanding in that respect.

Other than miscellaneous individual disasters I'd be surprised if anyone was having worse results this year than last, which was pretty dreadful weather wise.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20 »
Most winter squashes need a half-decent summer to thrive, and butternuts are usually regarded as the most demanding in that respect.

Other than miscellaneous individual disasters I'd be surprised if anyone was having worse results this year than last, which was pretty dreadful weather wise.

This year has been great squash weather compared to last year !
Two or three head sized Sweet Mama squashes per plant and only two grapefruit size that might yet fill out ! :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 12:34 »
I grow Butterboy and last year only got three fruits from 2 plants. This year, two plants and I have about 20. Most are about 15in long and a good width too. Have done nothing different, as I don't feed them and hardly ever water them. Think it is the year for fruits and only hope they keep through the winter successfully. Am thinking of putting them in the attic as I saw that somewhere....

I will look out for the next year. I think mine were Waltham Butternut from real seeds which were billed as an early and prolific cropper  :wacko: oh well, better luck next year!

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 14:08 »
Mumofstig`s avatar is my favourite squash.I have grown this Thelma squash alongside the butternut and it out grows it on all counts........more fruits,sooner,larger.I have already started to use them in soups and stews.

Chances are,I shall not be growing butternut squash again!

seaside

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 14:48 »
I will look out for the next year. I think mine were Waltham Butternut from real seeds which were billed as an early and prolific cropper  :wacko: oh well, better luck next year!
RJR, along with my self seeded butternut variety that are now doing well, I also bought one Garden centre Waltham butternut. It did indeed flower and fruit early, and I had 3 in quick succession well advanced  mid way in July before any others were even thinking about it. It has now  in the last week set another 2 well sized viable fruits.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut squash

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 06:22
by crackedflowerpots
xx
butternut squash

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 18:00
by Kristen
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 17:30
by Annie

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 39 queries.