Anyone harvested Butternut Squash yet?

• 31 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Anyone harvested Butternut Squash yet?
« on: August 27, 2013, 20:34 »
I've a few in the polytunnel that look to be harvestable size and have turned orange but the old guy next door tells me it's too early to pick them. Do they catch much harm by just leaving them attached to the parent plant?

seaside

Re: Anyone harvested Butternut Squash yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 21:13 »
No, they're quite happy where they are. Winter squashes are different than the courgette/Summer thing.
It is tempting though. I do have one or two of the earliest that have been the right colour for some time.
The longer they stay on the vine, the sweeter they get, and the better they will store.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 21:15 by seaside »

Yana

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 22:33 »
Mine still have a very pale green hue instead of that lovely buttery yellow colour. Should I be removing the leaves so that they are in full sun to make sure they ripen?  :unsure:
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 22:48 »
I'm baffled with mine.  There are two on the same plant, one is green striped and the other is plain, very dark green.  There is no sign at all of them turning light brown. I think the mother must've had a fling with a nearby courgette  ;)  I have no idea when it is ripe so I'm just leaving it till the allotment show, when I will enter it in as "any other vegetable".
Anne

captainhastings

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 23:40 »
I just have a shed full of flowers and no squash is there any point in keeping them going or is it too late ?
The plants look really healthy and lush but are taking up room if they are not going to deliver

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:13 »
Hi Annen - only the off spring will be a different looking thing - this years will be fine if the two different plants had a romp in the grass and cross pollinated.. Its just the seed it produces that will determine the outcome.

So maybe your seed was a cross.. Is it your own seed that you planted or bought?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16 »
It's best just to leave them on the plant for as long as poss to ripen.

I just have a shed full of flowers and no squash is there any point in keeping them going or is it too late ?
The plants look really healthy and lush but are taking up room if they are not going to deliver
I think it's too late for any to set and ripen now  :(

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:55 »
Hi Annen - only the off spring will be a different looking thing - this years will be fine if the two different plants had a romp in the grass and cross pollinated.. Its just the seed it produces that will determine the outcome.

So maybe your seed was a cross.. Is it your own seed that you planted or bought?
It was bought seed and the picture on the packet shows a ordinary brown butternut.  These are vaguely the right shape but very different in colour

Yana

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:58 »
Mine aren't that dark at all Annen. In fact they are too pale I think.

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08 »
My butternuts are still pretty small.  However, I have one plant that has 3 squash which are a different shape, sort of elongated and curved, rather than dumpy like the others.  They definitely came from the butternut seed packet and are the same colour.  Any ideas please?  Do you think they are butternut just an odd shape, or a different squash altogether?
Thanks.
LL xx
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:11 by Lincs Lottie »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 13:52 »
My butternuts are still pretty small.  However, I have one plant that has 3 squash which are a different shape, sort of elongated and curved, rather than dumpy like the others.  They definitely came from the butternut seed packet and are the same colour.  Any ideas please?  Do you think they are butternut just an odd shape, or a different squash altogether?
Thanks.
LL xx
There have been a few threads about squashes in general lately and it does seem as if they are quite variable in shape and colour. Perhaps they hybridise quite readily.

Ema

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 15:47 »
only 1 of my butternut squashes has fruit on them 6 hand sized plants, there no where near ready yet, lovely to see them though just need some patience

wighty

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 17:32 »
My butternut squash is the same colour as Annens.  I cut it off at the weekend as I wanted the other four to get a bit bigger.  It weighed in at 6.5 lb! ::) I don't know what to do with it now and it's sat on the side while I, hopefully, get some ideas.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 18:01 »
My butternut squash is the same colour as Annens.  I cut it off at the weekend as I wanted the other four to get a bit bigger.  It weighed in at 6.5 lb! ::) I don't know what to do with it now and it's sat on the side while I, hopefully, get some ideas.
They keep for ages, don't they? So plenty of time to swot up  :)

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 18:40 »
Best not pick green Bnuts as they are not ripe and this may affect taste and storage life.
You can cut them after the green has changed to yellow and harden them in a sunny window etc.
It is common to get the barrel shaped Bnuts like Annens , they fit the roasting dish better ! :)

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut squash

Started by frenchliving on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 13:03
by frenchliving
xx
Butternut squash

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 08:38
by Ma Lowe
xx
Butternut Squash - again

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 13:33
by littlelisa

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 30 queries.