Why didn't I think of this.

• 16 Replies

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Why didn't I think of this.
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:25 »
Just seen in the news... Here about "A new DIY hooch-making kit"...only £12.99 for the 'magic' powder. Well I'll undercut them, say...£9.99...yes yes  :lol: I'll be rich, where that price list for those Lear jets... ;)
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Auntiemogs

Re: Why didn't I think of this.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46 »
Ah, I did read that article with interest Capt.  :tongue2: Is it really possible to do it in 48 hours?  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 13:22 »
In the first 48hrs the fermentation will start, as we all know with our own wines. Now if the "magic powder" they sell is a turbo yeast type, like this here ,  the sort anyone can buy, then 48hrs is possible if you believe all you read on the bumf that they put out. If you look into turbo yeast most folks in the know say that it's not good for the yeast, it will do the job but the yeast get's stressed and you may finish up with odd flavors.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 22:54 »
Ah, got to be worth a try at some point then.   :)

BobE

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 00:11 »
Ah, got to be worth a try at some point then.   :)

Fermentation takes its own time, as you know Auntie.  What is a few days in such a natural process.
How are your brews doing?

BobE

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 19:43 »
AntieMo, I was thinking about your polypins today and the trouble you said about filling them.  When I fill a wine bottle I leave at least an inch of airspace in it.  This is recommended and assists the second fermentation.  The space soon fills with CO2. 
So, your polypins with several litres of wine can easily handle a few air bubbles at the top.  They will do the same as bottle headspace.
Also the polypins are a good idea for another reason.  The French mature their reds in bulk containers, they only bottle them at the end when they sell it.  So your bulk second fermentation is a very good idea.  I think they will last longer than 6 months as well.  (If you can leave them alone?)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 20:09 »
Sorry, I'm feeling a bit dense Bob  ::)  but I've added all the gubbins (finings and stabiliser) so will this still happen (second ferment)? I'm glad I let it sit for a while longer as there was still quite a lot of sediment when I put it in the polypins.

I'm not sure what I'm going to go with the lager in the pressure barrel.  It's still a bit cloudy but I'm dreading the thought of trying to get it into bottles because of the froth and don't know whether I should add any more sugar if I do?  Still, at least I know to just bottle it next time.  :) It tastes quite nice, albeit a little flat...

BobE

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 20:27 »
Sorry, I'm feeling a bit dense Bob  ::)  but I've added all the gubbins (finings and stabiliser) so will this still happen (second ferment)? I'm glad I let it sit for a while longer as there was still quite a lot of sediment when I put it in the polypins.

I'm not sure what I'm going to go with the lager in the pressure barrel.  It's still a bit cloudy but I'm dreading the thought of trying to get it into bottles because of the froth and don't know whether I should add any more sugar if I do?  Still, at least I know to just bottle it next time.  :) It tastes quite nice, albeit a little flat...

For the wine.  Its got a posh name, but you are fine from what you have said.  What I called second fermentation is what takes place in the bottle or the cask over time.  Its a very slow process which is why the wine improves with age.  Ive used the wrong name.  Your polypins mimic the large vats that professional use.  They call it Bulk Fermenting.  I just bottle and it occures in the bottle, but a lot of people say that bulk is a better way.  I was only thinking that your polypins are going to give you good result.

For the lager.. Lager needs to have extra CO2 driven into it after the first fermentation.  This is different from beer.  Lager is taken to 20 psi and this causes it to absorb more CO2 and gives it the fizz.  Your barrel can only support 10psi, which is fine for beer, but not for lager.  You need to bottle it.  Now I have a problem.  When you moved it to the barrel you put it onto 100g of sugar.  I thought you were then going to bottle it.  If you havn't then its quite likely that the extra sugar has now fermented out, increasing the alcohol which is quite nice.  But. Do we add more before bottling?  Its a guess.  In my opinion I would stir in another 100g of sugar and then bottle it up.  I can't see any disadvantage and the resulting lager might be very nice, and strong.  If you leave it in the barrel it won't work.
Please ask if Ive not been clear.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 20:41 »
Ah yes.  I really should have bottled it as soon as I added the sugar but I was still collecting the bottles.  Never mind.  I shall get a very slow production line going and add just a wee bit more sugar to the bottles.  The good thing is that I can now do it in my own time and I'm in no hurry.  :)

I have just poured myself a pint and it really is quite tasty.  A little cloudy and lacking some fizz, as I said, but I don't really like gassy beers/lagers anyway and it tastes far better than any lager I've bought this year.

I'm going to give this one another try again next year as my BIL's favourite lager has a little tequila added to it so it's got to be worth a try.  :)

As for the wine lasting...well...I think it has more of a chance if I get another kit on soon.  :lol:

BobE

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 20:48 »
Ah yes.  I really should have bottled it as soon as I added the sugar but I was still collecting the bottles.  Never mind.  I shall get a very slow production line going and add just a wee bit more sugar to the bottles.  The good thing is that I can now do it in my own time and I'm in no hurry.  :)

I have just poured myself a pint and it really is quite tasty.  A little cloudy and lacking some fizz, as I said, but I don't really like gassy beers/lagers anyway and it tastes far better than any lager I've bought this year.

I'm going to give this one another try again next year as my BIL's favourite lager has a little tequila added to it so it's got to be worth a try.  :)

As for the wine lasting...well...I think it has more of a chance if I get another kit on soon.  :lol:

Well if you like it, thats all that matters.  We were only trying to get the lager fiz.  Homebrews are more flavoursome than bought beers because we don't full filter them.  How about half a teaspoon per bottle, just to give it some fiz.
Havn't you got more going!!. Its a production line else you might run out. ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 21:17 »
I'm going to put an ibrew Merlot kit on.  :)  Only 15 bottles but that means it's so much easier for me to manage on my own. 

I also have a Woodfordes Wherry real ale kit that I'd like to have ready for the festival so I really should get a wiggle on.  So glad I have 2 fermenters and pressure barrels....  :D

What do you have on at the mo?

BobE

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 22:25 »
I'm going to put an ibrew Merlot kit on.  :)  Only 15 bottles but that means it's so much easier for me to manage on my own. 

I also have a Woodfordes Wherry real ale kit that I'd like to have ready for the festival so I really should get a wiggle on.  So glad I have 2 fermenters and pressure barrels....  :D

What do you have on at the mo?

A trick I learnt.  When you do a real beer at the first stage when your adding the water and the two tins.  Pour in another kg of sugar.  I do it to every beer kit.  It runs the alcohol up to 5%.  Currently I have a 6 month old barrel of Wherry, with extra sugar, and its drawing and drinking very well.  Behind that is an IPA but it needs another month. Im hoping it will be ready for the holidays.  I always make Cellar 7 Italian red and I have a full rack from last spring.  One is in the FV, been two weeks.  Ive been collecting screw tops as per the advice Ive received on here.  Ive bought another IPA but I need either another barrel or to free up the Wherry one.
Trust me on the extra sugar in the Wherry, its too weak without it.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 23:56 »
Hmmm. Hello All!  Tell me are wine kits any good these days?  If so what ones do you expert homebrewers suggest as a starter kit?  What is the ABV etc?  Oh!  And Hello Auntie M!!!  :lol:

BobE

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 00:25 »
Maxibo, Order a Cellar 7 Italian red.  You will need a fermentation bucket (25 Liters).  And collect about 30 wine bottles, with screw tops.  Try that as a starter for ten.
Although you can drink it after seven days put some aside as it does improve with age.
Just do what the kit says.

Beats any £7 supermarket red
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 00:27 by BobE »

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:01 »
Maxibo, Order a Cellar 7 Italian red.  You will need a fermentation bucket (25 Liters).  And collect about 30 wine bottles, with screw tops.  Try that as a starter for ten.
Although you can drink it after seven days put some aside as it does improve with age.
Just do what the kit says.

Beats any £7 supermarket red
Good grief!  Really?  That good?  What is the alcohol content Bob?  And when you say 30 wine bottles could that be a stash of bottles that I may or may not have 'collected' over a while just waiting for a good use? Some wine made now would be good for the 'unmentionables' in December?

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 36 queries.