French beans - deficiency?

• 9 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
French beans - deficiency?
« on: August 25, 2013, 15:17 »
I have tried French beans for the first time this year. They were in a largish pot in compost.
They set off quite promising then started to fade to an unhealthy looking yellow colour and the amount of beans  and colour of them also went downhill quite quickly. I have fed them about once a week with comfrey tea after they flowered.
ON the photo is two sowings, the ones on the left are the ones that I have now given up on (I grubbed them up after taking the photo) THe one next to it is a second sewing - healthy at the moment, but I'd like to get a better crop this time.
ANy suggestions/reasons why they went so badly?

beans.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: French beans - deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 15:28 »
That's a lot of beans in not much space - they may have been short of food despite the comfrey, and also may well have dried out between waterings.

I grew probably fewer climbing French bean plants than that in a much larger pot, and they needed feeding even early on in their growth, and watering every day, although admittedly they were in my greenhouse (still are - trying to persuade them to deliver a few more beans!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 15:36 »
I agree - Dwarf French beans are usually planted out at about 6-8ins apart, there seems to be too many in the pot.

Climbers would need a much bigger pot to have any chance of success.

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 16:10 »
Ahhh..thanks for that...I'll thin out the other ones this afternoon - hopefully, they'll do better.
I thought they were dwarf beans and that was why they weren't climbing... Thanks again

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 18:10 »
What does is say on the packet?

They should be described as climbing or dwarf (unless you bought them from Lidl who labelled my French climbers "runner beans"!)  ::)

(Even though your first sowing look poorly, they don't seem to have made any attempt to climb, so my guess is "dwarf," although they are still too crowded whichever they are.)

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 19:54 »
To be honest I can't remember which type they were. At first they were green and gave us quite a few beans but then they turned yellow. I think the overcrowding could well be the problem. I thinned out the better ones this afternoon so, hopefully, they will be better.
Thanks

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 20:11 »
The bottom leaves on my french beans have leaf yellowing or chlorosis.
I fed them with some sulphate of ammonia - it's actually labelled for this plant complaint.

It may be too late once they've gone yellow but they're still growing prolifically - the variety is 'Isabel'

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01 »
I know of comfrey being used as a supplementary feed but is it regarded as a general fertilizer?

If the compost is shop-bought multi-purpose we can assume that there's no nutrition left in it now (if ever there was).

Personally I'd apply quick-release granules such as Growmore as a rescue operation, even if it's not organic, to ensure balanced nutrition.  I use garden compost in my container growing to ensure balance.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:09 »
Blood, Fish & Bone is the organic equivalent of Growmore  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:52 »
A foliar spray of Maxicrop or simiilar will help them to recover from the initial problem of re-planting or if a feed problem presents itself, until the plant can regain its strength.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
french beans or borlotti beans?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 21:49
by waddecar

Page created in 0.611 seconds with 38 queries.