« on: August 25, 2013, 14:28 »
Just made this and thought I would share it with ya awl. Only cost a fiver
image.jpg
image.jpg

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Re: DIY waterer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 15:15 »
That looks good. What are the instructions :-)

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 15:29 »
Drill a hole in the barrel and food tub big enough for the rain barrel tap and screw the tap in. Unscrew the lid fill with water and screw back on.. Open tap and voila job done very simples :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 17:03 »
How long will water be in it for?  Might be worth taking precautions to cover the tank up so that algae don't form inside it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 17:21 »
The drinker part will not be easy to empty and clean being attached to the drum.

Suprising how much dirt comes off beaks when drinking or feet if you do not stand it on bricks.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 20:03 »
I have a similar one made from a plastic cider barrel which already had a tap  but I keep the tub they actually drink from separate so I can wash or replace it.  I also have some large plastic containers I got from the local small brewery and put 'drinker nipples' in the bottom. cheap, easy and much cleaner also easy when you want to add something like cider vinegar etc as it doesn't get wasted.

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 20:42 »
Not sure how long it will last gotta test it out.. I don't think I'm gonna worry about dirty beaks too much,when they Freerange they drink out of the dirtiest puddles they can find.. I think people get a bit to anal about things sometimes

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 20:46 »
I have a similar one made from a plastic cider barrel which already had a tap  but I keep the tub they actually drink from separate so I can wash or replace it.  I also have some large plastic containers I got from the local small brewery and put 'drinker nipples' in the bottom. cheap, easy and much cleaner also easy when you want to add something like cider vinegar etc as it doesn't get wasted.
Great stuff I have a blue barrel and am going to make a big one with a washing up bowl to catch the water from a small piece of hose pipe

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:41 »
Not sure how long it will last gotta test it out.. I don't think I'm gonna worry about dirty beaks too much,when they Freerange they drink out of the dirtiest puddles they can find.. I think people get a bit to anal about things sometimes

It is not the dirt that is the problem, it is the different slimes that grow in it . Puddles are rarely around long enough to grow any nasties.
My drinkers get black and nasty and have to be cleaned at times but the hens prefer to drink pond water anyhow. :)
Some people get anal when they have flaws in their inventions pointed out. :tongue2:

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:48 »
A wipe round with a scourer and blast with hose pipe, can't see a problem myself :)

coop-de-tat

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 18:24 »
A wipe round with a scourer and blast with hose pipe, can't see a problem myself :)

Looks good to me too..........

I'm going to knock up something similar, I'm watering my 1/2 dozen every day, they have a 3 litre waterer (I bought from Amazon for £8 :=0 ) The one shown will probably last about a week between refills. Could easily find an opaque type of main drum to supress most algae.

Tidy..........

CdT

Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit.

ehs284

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 22:32 »
It's a nice neat job making good use of basic physics and simple materials. Well done and thanks for sharing. I've never found a perfect drinker; they all have a weakness somewhere, be it in contamination, cleaning, acceptance or stability, so don't be put off by the thumbs down crowd.

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 22:41 »
Thanks for the replies.. The next one is a big blue barrel and a washing up bowl as this one has lasted just over 2 days... I think it's the ducks that are having the most but the chooks will be housed separately as soon as I've converted the old goat house for them,trying to make a waterer and drinker to last for a week

grinling

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 22:03 »
and in winter when water freezes?

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 18:58 »
Back to the small refillable ones

xx
Heated waterer

Started by CWatters on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 10:04
by ehs284
xx
Anyone Tried this Type of Waterer?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 17:46
by ehs284

Page created in 1.617 seconds with 36 queries.