Squint?

• 6 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Squint?
« on: August 24, 2013, 16:13 »
Hello,

I have a hen, who in one eye its like she has a squint, its slightly inflamed, - i think i found the cause to be not enough ventilation in a coop i built for a trio of chocolate Orpington's before they was due to be  intergrated into the main flock

There is no discharge, eating fine, normal poops, as far as I can tell is fine, no smell, apart from the usual smell.

Any ideas?
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

8doubles

Re: Squint?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 16:53 »
Is the hen low down the pecking order? A lot of vicious looking pecks get delivered while feeding and roosting so perhaps she caught one a bit close to the eye .

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 17:25 »
Im not to sure if im honest, because they're in quarantine and iv since culled the cockerel, im not sure on the pecking order in the quarantine part,

but since there is no wheezing, sneezing, anything, i guess its possible?

I don't see anything that would suggest a illness, hence why i queried on here..

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 17:26 »
I should include i got these birds from auction,

Craig

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 20:37 »
You have done the right thing in having them in quarantine Craig.  It doesn't sound like it but the main thing to rule out would be Mareks, there is some information on HERE

It could be something simple like the bird has got dust/grit in its eye.  I would recommend you use boiled and cooled water to bathe the eye at least once a day.  Cold tea is another thing you can use to bathe the eye as it has antiseptic qualities.  Make sure the bedding is dust extracted as well.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 20:50 »
The bedding that was in there, iv removed as i felt it was slightly dusty in there,

iv read that page, i cannot say she has shown any other signs that the page suggests, iv inspected her closely everyday since the swelling came,

When i first had her, the coop was dusty and no ventilation, i admit, i got side tracked, a day and half later, the coop was jet washed, every nook, cranny, even took out the floor, and sprayed that, and 6 ventilation holes put in, the second bird, did show a slight swelling on the eye but soon went after ventaliation and deep clean

At present, there is NO bedding in there, only 2 hens,

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 20:54 »
I would try the eye bathing then and see how that goes.  If it does not improve in a day or so with bathing you may need some medication, I know some members have used eye ointment with success.

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 28 queries.