leeks

• 5 Replies

waliz

leeks
« on: August 22, 2013, 19:32 »
most of my leeks have a seed head on them .what caused this and how can I cure it :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 19:56 »
Welcome to the site waliz, I have moved your topic to Grow Your Own.  Hopefully you will get plenty of advice.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 20:21 »
when did you sow/plant them?

Totty

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 21:44 »
Could they have gone short of water during the hot spell? Leeks can often bolt if they dry out in hot conditions.

Totty

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 22:34 »
Once they've bolted (gone to seed) there is no cure. Nip out the seed/flower stalk, unless you want to keep the seed, and leave them to grow. You can still eat them but they'll have a hard core down the middle.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:09 »
I would guess that Totty's explanation is the most likely - shortage of water will stress them in hot spells and trigger premature production of flower heads, although any sort of stress can do the same thing.

I had about half of mine bolt 2 years ago, and none last year (and none so far this year.) Same variety, same cultivation method - sometimes the life of a plant is just too complicated for we mere humans to fully understand! :

If you cut off the seeds heads as soon as you see them the stalk in the centre of the leek shouldn't be too tough, although it will be visible. I have no problem eating them as they are, although I suspect some people get their dissection kits out and surgically remove the offending items before cooking!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Leeks

Started by MICK WARREN on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 15:35
by slowcompost
xx
Leeks

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 20:19
by Yabba
xx
leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 20, 2022, 21:07
by Weessy
xx
Leeks looking sorry for themselves

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 22:08
by Elcie

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 38 queries.