Next year............?

• 25 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Next year............?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 12:26 »
To heck with runner beans. I'm going to grow double the amount of Cobra French Beans instead. They're tastier, don't get as stringy and are much preferred by my family
So agree. I have grown one Cobra in my greenhouse which almost took over, so now grow dwarf ones and just 4 plants will give me a pretty good harvest over many weeks providing you pick them reguarly. If you space the sowing times out, you can replace those that have gone over with new ones (though in a different place in the border) and have a continual supply of fresh ones and plenty over for freezing which are also a good texture to eat when thawed out. I find the pods on outdoor-grown ones tend to curl up at the ends, whereas the indoor ones don't. Anybody know why?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

MrsLev

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 12:37 »
I don't like runner or French beans so we won't grow many of either. I've got some Greek Gigante seeds to try, I think they're going to be like butter beans?

I have no plans to grow potatoes for storing, we don't eat enough of them to bother!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 13:59 »
I don't like runner or French beans so we won't grow many of either. I've got some Greek Gigante seeds to try, I think they're going to be like butter beans?

I have no plans to grow potatoes for storing, we don't eat enough of them to bother!

I tried the gigante beans last year - gutted - they rotted off before the pods got big enough - goodluck as they are delish! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 14:57 »
I grow Spagna Bianco from DT Brown and I'm sure the beans are as big as Gigantes  :)
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Peas-Beans/Unusual-Bean-Seed_2/Bean-Shelling-Spagno-Bianco-Seeds.html

The blurb says you can eat them green like runner beans but I wouldn't try if I were you - I did and wish I hadn't  :nowink:

diospyros

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 18:46 »
I am also uninspired by them as a vegetable, little bags of green diamonds in the freezer you can boil them and that's about it, they don't really lend themselves to including in things, you know?

You don't have to grow a rotation that someone's written down, it's not like a recipe, the garden won't fail without potatoes (or any other crop).  You could grow any crop that likes a lot of muck, or just give muck in smaller more regular quantities to crops that don't like a huge dose.  Or you could grow Tomatoes.  Or a year of fallow/green manure, if you think it's really important for everything else to only be grown in one place every four years and you can't think of a fourth crop group.  Sow annual flowers for cutting!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 19:08 »
I really only grew the Painted lady runners for a pretty windbreak and included some climbing french for eating.  However the slugs prefer french climbers and so have had to eat runners due to rubbish dwarf bean crop (but first year- didn't know how that soil area had been treated before).  Runners wern't stringy, just even the small ones were tough, but I do undercook veg- will have one more go at eating the runners and may try Cobra next year-BUT the painted ladies are SO pretty  :wub:

solway cropper

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 21:31 »
Climbing frenchies for me this year in place of runners. Not had a stringy one yet although I have to admit they are not as prolific as runners. They also seem to be running out of steam long before the runners would. Still, it means there'll be room in the freezer for something other than beans.

suedenim

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 10:44 »
I am definitely going to stick to Cobra climbing beans over runners next year. Neither my husband and I are particularly keen on runner beans and I like the fact that they are not so prolific. I am finding that I've got enough for the both of us each time I go down to the plot, so we're not over faced and they are more versatile

Next year I will grow them on frames rather than a wigwam. Didn't have too much space this year as it's my first year.

Next year I will also break the 'rules' and not grow radishes. I've grown them in containers in the past, tried rat tail radishes and normal radish and I just don't like the flavour. It ends up being fed to my pet rats and even they aren't keen.

I only grew a small about of broad beans this year, mainly because everyone else was. I've never been a fan of the frozen ones, but fresh ones are a different beast all together. I am converted! I will have an entire bed next year instead of just 8 plants!

Sweetpea C

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 10:48 »
I only grew a small about of broad beans this year, mainly because everyone else was. I've never been a fan of the frozen ones, but fresh ones are a different beast all together. I am converted! I will have an entire bed next year instead of just 8 plants!

Me too - got quite adventurous with cooking with them, yum yum! I also need to build the munty frame because the wigwam is a pain in the neck!

Edited to clarify suedenim's quote (only just realised the username is a pun - like it!  :))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:33 by JayG »
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21 »

Me too - got quite adventurous with cooking with them, yum yum! I also need to build the munty frame because the wigwam is a pain in the neck!

I randomly sow about 50 broad bean seeds direct into the ground - no probs - have about 20 portions in the freezer now! :D

I really recomend the Munty bean frame - this is the first year I've built one and it's amazing! The courgettes are doing well beneath it too
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:28 by JayG »

Sweetpea C

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 08:44 »

I really recomend the Munty bean frame - this is the first year I've built one and it's amazing! The courgettes are doing well beneath it too
[/quote]

Thank you - the allotment is getting interest from some male members of my family so hopefully I'll get some help with construction   :)

Page created in 0.767 seconds with 38 queries.