Next year............?

• 25 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Next year............?
« on: August 22, 2013, 15:46 »
To heck with runner beans. I'm going to grow double the amount of Cobra French Beans instead. They're tastier, don't get as stringy and are much preferred by my family

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Next year............?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 15:50 »
That's great if they do well for you, and you prefer them  :)
unfortunately Cobra don't grow well on my plot so I grow purple climbing ones instead, which seem a bit hardier in exposed conditions...........but I still wouldn't be without my runners  :D

Christine

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 22:03 »
I'm already working up a bare space for elephant garlic and over wintering onions. When does this year end and next year start now?

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 23:36 »
Cobras are great in a good year alan i much prefer french beans myself,but i always do half and half runners and french,cos the last two years cobra did nothing for me and if i had no runners id have had no beans.Ive grown purple french beans this year myself and had a very good crop.
If you grow dwarf french beans lidl dwarf seeds have given me a mega crop this year and they were as nice to eat as cobra,im from wigton myself not too far away from you so similar growing conditions.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 00:31 »
I always grow French beans - although I do love runners ::)

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:45 »
I have no plans at all to grow runners they fit with my pre-conception of the allotment grower with bagfuls of produce that they can't give away... I was thinking of Borlotti because if they get away from me I can just pretend I meant to grow them for dried all along?  Anyone else do this?

Yana

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:48 »
I have no plans at all to grow runners they fit with my pre-conception of the allotment grower with bagfuls of produce that they can't give away... I was thinking of Borlotti because if they get away from me I can just pretend I meant to grow them for dried all along?  Anyone else do this?
This year, I've done exactly this Diospyros.
I don't like runner beans and grow them for the family. Last year I had so many, folk would run away from me when they saw me with carrier bags full. This year I have put in a few runners, and was given barlotti seeds by a fellow plot holder. So I've managed to keep everyone happy.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

captainhastings

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:52 »
have you tried polestar runners stringless and seem to crop very well

Godhelm

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:29 »
I grew Polestar runners alongside Cobra french this year. Much more success with the Cobra than the Polestar in my case. May be due to the conditions on my plot - very light sandy soil - maybe the french beans are more tolerant of dry conditions.  Anyone know if that's true?

rubberfrog

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:42 »
You have to grow Runner Beans, its the allotment law................ both myself and the wife love them, also great for freezing for the winter months.  We shall be also be growing these Cobra climbing french bean next year. they seem to be the all the rave at moment.

Long live the runner.

RF

heloise

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02 »
Gave up on runners this year in favour of french beans as I got tired of beans that went too big and stringy the minute you turned your back on them. And the inevitable urge to freeze them anyway because you can't waste anything  :) Too much like hard work to chuck them all out again!

Though I too intend to have space for elephant garlic next year as I've never tried it before.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:03 by heloise »

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13 »
The French themselves favour French beans  :) 

And they take them seriously.  Any outlet will offer at least 20 varieties.  Sold in boxes, not diddy packets like over here.  No pussyfooting about!

And yes, Godhelm, they, the French, also favour lighter soils for them, and recommend earthing them up.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Yana

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41 »
You have to grow Runner Beans, its the allotment law................ both myself and the wife love them, also great for freezing for the winter months.  We shall be also be growing these Cobra climbing french bean next year. they seem to be the all the rave at moment.

Long live the runner.

RF

A slight diversion, but does that allotment law also include potatoes?
I've grown them begrudgingly this year as I was looked at kinda weird by fellow plot holders, when I first said I wasnt growing them this year. I've got loads left to dig up and we really don't eat that many.
I've tried to find a crop rotation that doesn't include potatoes, and that is a task in itself.  :ohmy:

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54 »

Long live the runner.

RF

A slight diversion, but does that allotment law also include potatoes?
I've grown them begrudgingly this year as I was looked at kinda weird by fellow plot holders, when I first said I wasnt growing them this year. I've got loads left to dig up and we really don't eat that many.
I've tried to find a crop rotation that doesn't include potatoes, and that is a task in itself.  :ohmy:
Never take any notice of anybody else yana,you pay your rent so grow what you like,as long as its tidy you wont get any complaints.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10 »
i have reduced growing the runner this year - grew polestar stringless with good success, the climbin bean i grew as sringless sultana, was great and plan to do much more of them next year but still like to grow a little runner now max 6 plants.  we love the beans and enjoy them lots

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 39 queries.