Unusual plot designs?

• 13 Replies

diospyros

Unusual plot designs?
« on: August 20, 2013, 20:44 »
Hello everyone!  I must have joined this forum before... I could believe the username was already taken but not the email address! 

Anyway I have just put my name down for an allotment which I will get in Mid-November hopefully.  So I'm full of ideas... and of course jotting things down on paper I needed a plan.  I realise that if everyone grows their vegetables the same way it's probably because it works.  But I can't help having a sneaking desire to re-invent the wheel just a little bit.  I want my allotment to look a bit pretty and different because then I think I'll be more inspired to work on it.  I believe that there should be a central "hub" of cold frame/store and compost heaps rather than shoving it up one end, to minimise journey length.  I want to have perennial crops round the perimeter with less desirable crops on the path side to deter casual thieves. So the obvious thing is to divide the plot into four quarters cross-wise.  But here's the silly bit - I have a real hankering after diagonal paths.  And no allotment I have seen from aerial photographs seems to have them.

Who has gone off-piste with their plot design?

Godhelm

Re: Unusual plot designs?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 21:43 »
How about this?
Italian-vegetable-garden.jpg

Godhelm

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 21:48 »
Or this? Lots of ideas out there - I looked for "vegetable garden designs" on Google Images for ideas.
design-vegetable-garden.jpg

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 21:50 »
I'm interested to know where do you get the name "diospyros" from... I know it as an Ebony from Africa...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 22:04 »
Aren't sheds and compost heaps shoved to the least desirable end of the plot where possible? I would have thought that the centre is the best bit - unimpeded sun at least.

I really like the idea of diagonal paths, but that means some form of angle on the bed, which might make it more difficult to grow in.

The only off-piste bit I have done is to use a lot of colour on my beds and shed. My neighbour has a circular bed in an ascending spiral, which is really pretty and works brilliantly for her herbs.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 23:50 »
There's a book called Creative Vegetable Gardening by Joy Larkcom which is worth a look. You can get it in the library.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 06:45 »
As it is your space I am sure you can let your imagination run wild? ???

Godhelm

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:00 »
Joe Swift used diamonds and triangles in his plot design. See his book "Joe's Allotment".

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36 »
Yes, but he had trouble reaching parts of them without walking on them. That's not ideal, but you could use walking boards, I suppose.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:57 »
Why not do a wheel shape so the hub has the compost bins etc, and the paths between the beds are the spokes coming off it. oh - and could you add your location please.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:01 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

diospyros

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 16:33 »
Thanks for the responses! I love those pictures!  I was searching "allotment design" and "allotment plan" wasn't thinking outside the box enough.  I will try the library too.

Diospyros is the botanical name of my favourite fruit, is all.  I believe there is a hardy one, one day I will grow it!

Yes the angles could cause problems for example building sensible frames for mesh etc.  I think I can get round that by using the angled ends of the beds for odd things that don't need netting.  It does mean a slightly higher ratio of paths, but I am taking on a whole plot with no reliable help, I'm not desperate for every inch of growing space yet!

The least desirable bit of my plot is the shaded (long) side under a hedge and trees.  Currently a mess of nettles, bits of wood, dumped weeds, etc.  Oh and a rather large freshly dug rabbit hole :ohmy: .  It won't be much difference to move my "hub" a few metres out into the middle.  OK, not that much less far to walk either, but it will be more incentive to keep it tidy.  I mean to clear up the mess, which is technically outside my plot anyway, and frighten the rabbits out!

Location and gender added :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 16:45 »
It does mean a slightly higher ratio of paths, but I am taking on a whole plot with no reliable help, I'm not desperate for every inch of growing space yet!

Bet that feeling doesn't last long! It's amazing how quickly you run out of space  ;)

The least desirable bit of my plot is the shaded (long) side under a hedge and trees.  Currently a mess of nettles, bits of wood, dumped weeds, etc. 

Nettles are great for compost (just not the roots) and wood can be burned and the ash added to the soil, so that bit is quite useful. Can't say the same thing for the rabbits though.   :nowink:

diospyros

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 16:52 »

Nettles are great for compost (just not the roots) and wood can be burned and the ash added to the soil, so that bit is quite useful. Can't say the same thing for the rabbits though.   :nowink:

Not allowed bonfires!  Yes I was looking at it and thinking burn that, burn that... but nowhere to do it.  Maybe I can donate it to the scout bonfire and then clear up the ash afterwards and sieve it for the nails off the pallets they mostly use!

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 12:32 »
Can't comment on other allootments but on mine I was asked to keep my shed and anything that casts shade to the side that casts onto my plot so as not to affect other plot holders. It does mean that most plot holders have their sheds etc on the same side as everyone else but I guess it also stops any ill feeling where someone is agrieved becuase their plot is shaded by someone elses tree or shed etc.  You might need to check up on any rules your site has when you are offered your plot

xx
Unusual veg

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 22:40
by gavinjconway
xx
Umm, a bit of an unusual question..

Started by Moonshine132435 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 13:24
by angelavdavis
xx
Unusual potatoes

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 17:29
by tosca100
xx
unusual pea varieties

Started by mattwragg94 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:19
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 38 queries.