Prevent return of sawfly on redcurrants with cardboard?

• 2 Replies

OneShovellyWoman

The redcurrant bush in my teeny garden has been well and truly eaten by sawfly caterpillar this year - I blame myself for going on holiday  :)

I've managed to keep them under control in previous years by picking them off/destroying affected branches early on - I just couldn't keep up this year.

Having read a lot about them, I've learned that there will be overwintering of eggs in the soil around the base of the plant ready for next year (oh joy).

I was just wondering if mulching, probably with cardboard, around the base would prevent them from getting onto the plant early next year or not....? Anyone tried this?
OSW - one vegetable at a time

BabbyAnn

Re: Prevent return of sawfly on redcurrants with cardboard?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:07 »
Not tried mulching but personally (though I stand corrected) I don't think it'll make any difference - they'll simply climb out of the mulch and up the branches to the foliage.

The pesticide treatment I did a few years ago, and again in spring before/after the flowers opened concentrating on the base of the plant and soil, knocked the sawfly cycle and (touch wood) I've not had any problems since.

OneShovellyWoman

Re: Prevent return of sawfly on redcurrants with cardboard?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 13:39 »
Thanks for that - first-hand experience always very useful. I may have the offer of a large quantity of free cardboard soonish, so maybe I'll try a belt-and-braces approach. It is sad to see my poor rc being munched to nothing!

xx
Sawfly on redcurrants

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 18:02
by wilj1
xx
redcurrants

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 09:09
by Livinhope
xx
Redcurrants

Started by Abhaya on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 23:41
by Trillium
xx
redcurrants

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 35 queries.