Growing onions from seed?

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing onions from seed?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43 »
Their written advice says
Sow Outdoors: February-March thinly into pre watered soil ½in (1cm) deep in rows 12in (30cm) apart. Keep soil moist at all times.

but I have read somewhere else that somebody grew them as overwinter onions - I suppose it depends on your local conditions.

If you do decide to try them - please let us now how they get on  ;)

Just found some more about AC here - Myfolia certainly regard it as a frost hardy variety for Autumn sowing!
http://myfolia.com/plants/911-onion-allium-cepa-var-cepa/varieties/3464-ailsa-craig
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:32 by mumofstig »

Godhelm

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:41 »
Thompson&Morgan and Seedaholic also list Sep/Oct sowing, so I will definitely give it a go on the basis that I can replace with sets in the Spring if they have obviously failed,  so only putting price of seeds and a little effort at risk. I've seen posts on other forums of people claiming success with overwintering Ailsa Craig, though this was dismissed by some as a fluke.

crh75

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 16:43 »
I must say that I'm a bit confused on the instructions for the North Holland Bloodred Redmate (see attachment). Clearly they can be sown in September, but the instructions say that for bulb onions (which is what I want) they are best sown in March/April indoors and then planted out 'eventually'! If I sow in September, can I only use them as salad onions harvesting in March/April next year, or can I leave them to grow on to be bulb onions? Or should I just follow the instructions ('RTFM') and sow them in March/April?  Maybe they would bolt if sown in Autumn.

I think if you leave the September sown onions in the ground too long it will flower before it bulbs up.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 20:30 »
Thanks for the info Shoozie and sparkyrog.  I'll sow some more indoors around the holidays and they can replace them if the others fail.  I want a lot of large bulbs without having to buy so many sets but atleast they'll be available as a contingency in spring.
Hope to hear how this goes.  If you want large onions that mature late summer on, Kelsae is really worth a try and sow them indoors either December and January.  First year for me with these, and some are swelling to a really decent size.  No idea what they'll taste like though.

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 23:28 »
Speaking of growing onions from seed, I cooked up a load of those wonderful long red onions of Florence today to make a tart. They're so easy to grow from seed and make really good sized onions. They are really sweet and delicious. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32 »
I'm a fan of LRF as well, I've always got some on the go in pots or tubs around the garden/plot  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35 »
I was astonished at how well  mine grew given that this year they were in a poor part of the plot.  I started mine off in trays and transplanted them.   

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 17:30 »
Last year I tried sets to over winter in containers, trying Shenshyu yellow from seed this time round and seeing how they compare. Currently have them in modules, none have poked up as of yet but it is early still.

Don't expect the biggest bulbs given they will be in troughs, but that's what I've got.

xx
Growing Onions from seed - help please!

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:11
by maxibo
xx
Growing onions from seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 20:49
by Oliveview
xx
growing onions from seed

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 06:46
by m1ckz
xx
Questions about growing onions from seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 12:41
by Totty

Page created in 1.066 seconds with 38 queries.