Growing blueberries

• 8 Replies

carlotta

Growing blueberries
« on: August 19, 2013, 17:47 »
I have 3 blueberry plants and am going to plant them in an old bath. The question is should I line the bath with plastic or something to stop the compost from drying out.

Thanks C

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Growing blueberries
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 17:49 »
The bath itself would stop the compost drying out.

Make sure there is enough drainage for them, and of course ericaceous compost  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 17:57 »
Mulch with pine needles and try to water with rain water rather than tap water.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 18:33 »
from what i've researched it seems that  mulching with pine needles or anything for that matter has very little effect on the PH of the soil. Thats not to say mulching with pine needles is a bad thing. I assume that's why you mentioned pine needles specifically?

I think using ericaceous compost and then maintaining the acidity with suplur is the way to go if you don't have acidic soil that blueberry's need.

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 21:42 »
from what i've researched it seems that  mulching with pine needles or anything for that matter has very little effect on the PH of the soil. Thats not to say mulching with pine needles is a bad thing. I assume that's why you mentioned pine needles specifically

I don't know for definite but I do get a decent yield and several of my books suggest mulching with needles I hear sawdust is also another good thing but have not tried.

I would certainly mulch to retain moisture either way.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 21:54 »
Just about everything organic goes through a phase where it becomes slightly acidic as it rots down due to the production of organic acids, although nature somehow manages to ensure that the final product is more or less neutral.

Pine needles and pine sawdust are naturally more acidic to start with, so the acidifying effect is more pronounced, but it's still only temporary (on their own they can't compensate for chalky soil if you want to grow ericaceous plants.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 22:55 »
from what i've researched it seems that  mulching with pine needles or anything for that matter has very little effect on the PH of the soil. Thats not to say mulching with pine needles is a bad thing. I assume that's why you mentioned pine needles specifically

I don't know for definite but I do get a decent yield and several of my books suggest mulching with needles I hear sawdust is also another good thing but have not tried.

I would certainly mulch to retain moisture either way.

What was your soil ph before you added the pine needles though? fresh fine needles are acidic yes (something like 3.5ish) but once the organisms get to work breaking the needles down as jayG said they become pretty much neutral. Also they will be on the soil surface so you might change the ph right on top of the soil a little bit but thats about it. I don't think it will really have much effect on the plant as down by the roots will be whatever ph the soil naturally is. The ph can be altered but just not by mulching.

Indeed, I mulch pretty much everything to cut down on weeding and time spent watering :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 22:59 by Eightball »

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47 »

I've got 10 blueberry plants ( 2 each of 5 varieties ) .

I grew them in the ground first ,but found it difficult to keep the soil acid enough. I dug them up ,placed in large

containers filled with ericaceous compost .

I feed them with liquid ericaceous  feed  from wilkos.

Had loads off them this year (  3 rd year )

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 12:21 »
I add sulphur chips to the soil every Spring and use a slow release azalea fertiliser.

They seem to be fine in the ground like that, but our soil is not exceptionally chalky, just a tad on the alkaline side

xx
growing blueberries

Started by Mahogony on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:13
by Mahogony
xx
Growing Blueberries help please

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 10:07
by Salmo
xx
Growing blueberries....? in the ground?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 09:42
by Beetroot queen
xx
Growing blueberries from seed

Started by oroma on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 20:14
by Trillium

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 29 queries.