raspberry/sprout question

• 3 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
raspberry/sprout question
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:24 »
Hi, earlier this year, I realised that all my new raspberries had died due to bad weather.  I decided to grow sprouts and cabbages in the fruit cage. My problem now is when is the latest I can plant summer and autumn raspberries for next year. Obviously my sprouts are not going to be ready for a few months and I cant plant around them or can I ? I might be answering my own question here :)  It would be easier to get rid off one crop and then start off with a new one.
Also, an allotment a few pitches up from me became vacant last weekend. I was given a couple of rasberry plants. Very small ones. Is there a way to find out if they are summer or autumn? One of the plants had a dead stalk and a living shoot, about a foot long, coming out of the base.

3759allen

Re: raspberry/sprout question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:21 »
i planted some this year really late because thats when i got them. don't think i put them in til march or april and they've given a fair amount of fruit already this year.

as long as there's space around the sprout roots to put the raspberry canes i can't see a problem with planting between. they should just be developing the root system rather than foliage over winter any way.

don't know about telling how early or late they fruit other than planting and finding out.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 17:31 »
You can plant autumn raspberries right up until late Spring and expect a crop later that same year. Summer raspberries would of course not fruit until the Summer of the following year.

They can be bought bare rooted or potted, and either grow well if you treat them nicely  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53 »
Thank you both for your replies. I think that I will plant some summer raspberries amongst the sprouts later this year. The autumn, I will plant early spring.

xx
Brussel sprout question

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 16:21
by vanessa.xx
xx
hi - question about sprout seeds

Started by muck heap on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 15, 2011, 16:01
by muck heap
xx
Daft sprout question.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 19:58
by gazza975526570
xx
Brussels sprout question

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 20:13
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.