Tried A Sweetcorn Today.

• 17 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Tried A Sweetcorn Today.
« on: August 18, 2013, 15:09 »
I had a look at the Sweetcorn today as I thought maybe it might be getting ready, I pierced a couple of pods and the fluid was milky which from what I understand means that it is, so I thought I would give it a try.

But did I pick to early?

I wonder because......

1. Colour wise it wasn't as yellow as it is from the shop (we normally buy it frozen).
2. It was crunchy when you bit into it, the shop brought stuff is soft.
3. It did not taste as sweet as I was expecting, although it was still nice.

Have I just got used to the stuff from the shop or should I leave it a little longer?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Tried A Sweetcorn Today.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 15:21 »
I harvested some yesterday: Variety "Honeydew".

They are so tender and sweet you could pour cream on them as serve for dessert  :lol: 

(I am darn sarf though)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 15:31 »
I harvested 2 of mine last week as I was like you and thought they might be ready but as its my first year I wasnt sure. They are slightly paler than shop yellow (but went much yellower once cooked). They were very sweet though and a good texture so I was happy with them and I harvested the rest today. I am much further south though

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 16:59 »
Most shop corn is actually too old to eat. The corn sugars begin to change to carbs/starch as soon as they're picked, and the longer they're off the stalk, the more starchy they become. Consider how long from field to store shelf and you have your answer on age and carbs. We call shop corn 'cow corn' since it's tough and tasteless.

Fresh off the stalk corn should be a pale colour with the kernels mostly filled but not completely because even on the stalk they can overdevelop, just like old peas in the pod. If I'm not sure, I carefully pull back just a bit of the corn husk for a peek. If it's still too pale and has very small kernels, I pull the husks back up. The end tassels should be very brown and dried out, almost gone and you know that cob is ready.

seaside

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 18:52 »
All too easy to try the sweet corn early. As above, the  silks really do need to be well on the way to dying off, not just brown.
The trouble is, every other pair of eyes and furry claws are also waiting for the day they're perfect, and most of them live closer to the corn than you do.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 20:24 »
Sweet corn comes in different shades of yellow as well as white, and variegated. I would class it as ready when the fluid is cream, rather than milk, when the kernels are squeezed with a fingernail.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 21:53 »
Cheers for the advise, it sounds like I was a little to quick of the blocks.

Is there a correct was to remove the cob from the plant?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 21:57 »
With two hands - it's easy to snap the main stem off too if you pull or twist it off too roughly!  :ohmy:

(Using secateurs to cut through the base of the cob is also a possibility if you can reach it without falling over and flattening the rest of your crop!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:19 »
We bought some plants rather late, but as we had a spare bed, it was worth a go.

They were advertised as small cobs, like the ones you see in supermarkets for stir fry, but I'm assuming that if they stay on the stalk longer, they'll grow bigger.

So far, they're only an inch thick, and the tassels are still pale green...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:45 »
Growster, The ones that you eat in stirfry - usually Minipop variety, are picked and eaten before pollination  ;)

My ones are like magic beans stalks atm 5ft high with neither tassels nor cobs   :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 11:01 »
Growster, The ones that you eat in stirfry - usually Minipop variety, are picked and eaten before pollination  ;)

My ones are like magic beans stalks atm 5ft high with neither tassels nor cobs   :nowink:

I didn't know that, Mums!

Can I still assume that they'll turn into normal sized cobs? They're about six feet high, with the tops dropping stuff everywhere, and the tassels looking like an 'Elnett' advert..;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13 »
I s'pose they will  :unsure: but they've not been bred for taste or cob size ........... good luck!

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 12:51 »
Mine in the g'house are growing well, but some of the top corn pods have burst out of their cover, though the bottom ones are ok so far. The cob silks still haven't turned brown so not sure what is happening.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 14:34 »

My minipop sound like yours MoS!!   :)

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 19:25 »
I took a quick photo of my sweetcorn (the quality of the photo is a not so great as it was took using the mobile)........how far off is it being ready?

130819_161136_crop.jpg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 19:26 by MickyB »

xx
First sweetcorn tasted today

Started by Sally A on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 09:40
by muntjac
xx
Sweetcorn planted out today.

Started by Digger Tom on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 21:25
by sunshineband
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 09:45
by Kristen
xx
sweetcorn

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 06:15
by DD.

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 38 queries.