Ideas for what to grow in a greenhouse please!

• 5 Replies

Lincs Lottie

Ideas for what to grow in a greenhouse please!
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:20 »
Morning All,
My dad has just bought a large greenhouse (20 X 8 I think) and has said we can have one end of it to grow whatever we like. 
My question is, what can we grow at this time of year?
Obviously, next year we can grow toms, peppers, cucumbers etc and start off seedlings but as we are new to veg growing we've no idea what to do with the space now. 
Would love to try and utilise the space all year so that we get veg through winter too, is that possible?
Dad will be growing cacti so it will be heated over winter.
Please help!
Thanks.
LL xx  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:21 by Lincs Lottie »

3759allen

Re: Ideas for what to grow in a greenhouse please!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36 »
salads and spinach will be ok to put in now. prob a bit too late for most other things, although as it's going to be heated you should be able to grow most things as long as they don't need to ripen as the daylight will be too short.

i'm going to try growing summer veg over winter in my poly tunnel this year, as i have no results yet i can't suggest anything yet though.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:36 »
If the greenhouse was being heated, then perhaps your dad might like to also invest in additional lighting and that would open up opportunities for growing a lot of tender crops a lot earlier than most!  (Heating alone could trigger "legginess" as plants struggle to find enough daylight)  Even if it's just minimal heating, it might be enough to overwinter certain frost sensitive plants such as chillies and then the following year, they'll get off to a better and early fruit start than from growing from seed.

In the meantime I'd say go for salad stuff as well - winter hardy lettuce, radish, mustard greens and pak choi, maybe carrots in deep pots  :)

seaside

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 13:28 »
I managed to grow beetroot over Winter last year as an experiment, sown in November. A bit slower obviously than their Summer cousins, but they grew well enough in a cold greenhouse ( with occasional fleece as necessary ) and were harvested in early March, so a warm house should prove better. But I did lose half of them one night to pests chewing the tops off. Not sure what was responsible but it illustrates the oft forgotten greenhouse issue of keeping out Winter hungry pests such as mice/rats that will soon knaw through your warm efforts at the first opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 13:32 by seaside »

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:06 »
Many thanks.
So I can use grow bags to get lettuce over winter?
I guess I'd have to find a deepish trough to sow beetroot?

I asked Dad if he was lighting it.  He said yes and that he *may* invest in some grow lights.  If he does, is there anything else I could try?
Many thanks for helping this novice!

LL xx

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 13:55 »
as long as there's enough heat and growing lights you should be able to grow most things you do in summer, but a bit slower.

it would be a bit of an experiment though. if it were me i would pick the things that i like eating most and/ or things that cost the most to buy. try one of each and see what grows well and what doesn't.

xx
What to grow in greenhouse

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 20:58
by dexyblue
xx
what to grow in greenhouse

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 18:46
by JulesJ
xx
Grow in greenhouse but not outside?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 21:27
by skywalker
xx
how to grow in a greenhouse ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 15:25
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 36 queries.