Things you just enjoy growing.....

• 30 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Things you just enjoy growing.....
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04 »
I had a peeping under squash leaves session the other day and took some pics.  I found a very pretty Burgess Vine Buttercup, which is a new variety for me.

BVB.jpg

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:32 »
I'm growing that too for the first time this year. I'm not sure I would go along with the statement on the seed packet that it is suitable for smaller gardens as mine is a triffid and has spread about 15' in every direction but seems very prolific and am looking forward to trying them when they are ripe.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 14:48 »
Tomatoes Tomatoes Tomatoes! So many different shapes sizes colours and flavours to try. I love them so much I treasure every overlooked sideshoot, remove it and nurture into a new plant. Consequently  the house is overrun with cuttings in jam jars and the outside is a tomato jungle.

Oh ... and pumpkins. Great fun for small children to grow.
edeninthepumpkinpatch.JPG

Salmo

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 23:26 »
What a great topic. Full of joy and sunshine.

I love growing shallots and onions. Also enjoy the challenge of growing crops in succession like lettuce or peas. Usually end up with glut or famine anyway. Nature is very fickle.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 23:29 »
 :D I'm enjoying the pumpkins. First time I have grown them and the grandchildren are just so excited about them. Squash are next best although they are not tidy!!!!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:26 »
This may seem weird to some but I love growing huge stalks and clumps of rhubarb. I reckon I could feed half the road with the stuff. It's so therapeutic, copious amounts of muck through winter and then the excitement of the early growth in spring and the taste of the first picked stalks a week or two later.

My main clumps owe their existence to a new work colleague when I moved to Cumbria in 1971. I first grew it in West Cumbria and chunks of it have since moved with us and also populated family and friends' gardens

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 15:53 »
Have you forced some early rhubarb?  It's just the most gourmet food you can eat. Pure heaven  :D

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 18:40 »
Not sure on this, i cant think of anything.

Broad beans are not loved by everyone but i do like trying and failing, blackfly and chocolate spot defeat me every year.

I like growing toms but wont eat them but thats just me  :lol:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 19:46 »
Have you forced some early rhubarb?  It's just the most gourmet food you can eat. Pure heaven  :D
I have acquired some large plastic bins and intend forcing quite a lot next winter as I have a couple of otherwise redundant clumps

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 23:18 »
I turn it into Rhubarb Eton Mess  :tongue2: 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 00:41 »
Not sure on this, i cant think of anything.

Broad beans are not loved by everyone but i do like trying and failing, blackfly and chocolate spot defeat me every year.

I like growing toms but wont eat them but thats just me  :lol:

I wouldn't touch broad beans or peas as a child - about the only veg I wouldn't eat!! :)
Love them now, and since I've stopped trying to over winter them I have had brilliant crops with 'Masterpiece'

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04 »
I must say sweetcorn is my fav. Seeing them grow and fruit all within 3 months is a sight to behold! Its an architectural wonder. But something else I would definitely want to grow is this Italian squash - Lunga Gigante di Napoli, or the Long Giant of Naples. Difficult to grow at the beginning as they just hate the cold and wind and I lost 3 out of my 6 that germinated. But now I have 2 giant size squash, nearly 22" long. Looking really juicy and fat! Really happy just looking at them.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 08:03 »
I'm growing that too for the first time this year. I'm not sure I would go along with the statement on the seed packet that it is suitable for smaller gardens as mine is a triffid and has spread about 15' in every direction but seems very prolific and am looking forward to trying them when they are ripe.

I'm growing it too! Looking forward to eating it as apparently 'it is considered by many to be the best eating squash'

Christine

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25 »
I do enjoy growing vegetables in general but the local family wants herbs, strawberries and raspberries. So as retaliation I grow lots of broad beans, runner beans and dwarf beans which aren't their thing for me.  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 12:14 »
One that I wouldn't have dreamed of ever growing until I was given one by a fellow plotholder is blackcurrant. Now I couldn't think of life without them.  I made yet more jam this morning  :tongue2:

xx
Things not growing

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 17:59
by blackbob
xx
Things growing where they shouldn't be

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 06:04
by DD.
xx
Growing the right amount of things.

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 23:55
by pigeonpie
xx
Things are growing, plus yet another question

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 16:18
by Aidy

Page created in 1.75 seconds with 37 queries.