Things you just enjoy growing.....

• 30 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Things you just enjoy growing.....
« on: August 15, 2013, 20:31 »
.....even though few in your family enjoy them.

With me it's runner beans. I just love the sight of them climbing up the wigwam poles in June but there's only me who really enjoys eating them

Auntiemogs

Re: Things you just enjoy growing.....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 21:09 »
After this year, Uchiki Kuri squash.  I'm growing them on my deck up a trellis, and apart from the fact that they look so beautiful, the flowers smell fab.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

seaside

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 21:28 »
I love growing chillies and couldn't possibly eat all of those I grow. They're such attractive plants, and tell me it's Summer. Not a slug in sight.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 21:39 »
I enjoy growing tomatoes - but I'm the one that doesn't eat them  :lol: 

decided not to grow them this year indoors as the last two years have been disapointing.  Finally gave in, so got some tumbling toms that have been outside - couldnt resist, and they've done ok, but now moved inside just the other day.  I think tomato plants just take me back to the time when my nana was teaching me 'the trade'  :D. Daft really I suppose .... maybe I should eat one, one day !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 22:34 »
Same as seaside, chillies are my favourite. They are beautiful, and prolific Though after this year, sweetcorn gets high on the list - they go from wispy grass one day to utter alien-looking monsters almost overnight.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 22:57 »
I enjoy growing my french beans and squashes (the 'Honey Bear' acorn type squashes are so cute.
I also love growing strawberries and brassicas.

I enjoy growing anything really :D

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 22:58 »
Pumpkin family and chillies. I too love the look of beans on a wigwam of poles. A bit like this  :D

bnz.jpg

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34 »
Leaf coriander - cilantro, I alone cook and eat indian food.

But it's a cuss-ed thing to grow.  In pots or in the ground it soon runs to seed, however well I keep it watered.

So my enjoyment in growing it is a perverse one.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44 »
Anything with greeny blue leaves or purple leaves- was just so happy with the look of the water in globules rolling off the Chinese Kale this year.  I plant rows of red lettuce :D    I like interesting looking leaves  ::)

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54 »
Squashes of any type are my favourite things to grow. They are quick to grow, lovely to eat and I like all the shapes and sizes. I just love having a rummage between the leaves, not knowing if anything is going to be there a then low and behold there are some yummy things the size of a small football that you didn't even know was there.
I've got loads of different ones in this year - probably a dozen different varieties, and I've got one fruit growing but I can remember what the seed was. It looks like a really bright yellow turks turban. There is only 1 fruit on the plant. I want to eat it but I just love the look of it too much! Will get a picture of it when I go down the plot next time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 11:09 »
Runner beans and squash - both are easy and tasty  :)

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 11:16 »
Cucumbers cos I love the taste of them - shop bought are horrible. So even though they are the most sulky plant on planet earth they are a must grow.  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 11:21 »
I enjoy growing everything when they turn out well, but I suppose for sheer anticipation of the end product is has to be sweetcorn!   :happy:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:31 »
I agree that sweetcorn fresh off the plant, cooked in minutes, is the best food on God's earth.  I get irritated if folks pick them and then don't cook them. If I hand one or two over it's on the express understanding it gets cooked today or they don't get em  :D

Bicesterkev is a man after my own heart. I loves a squash. Turks Turban is poor in the eating stakes I think but it is beautiful to behold.  I took pics of my squash patch the other day and it looks as if there are no fruits but they are all there, safely tucked under the riot of foliage

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47 »
I always get a bit carried away with squash and end up with far more than I can eat (well the summer squash) but I just love peeping under the leaves and finding them there.

Also love growing garlic. Easy to grow, invaluable in the kitchen and I love having it in as an autumn planting and having the tips poking through in winter when nothing else much is growing.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Things not growing

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 17:59
by blackbob
xx
Things are growing, plus yet another question

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 16:18
by Aidy
xx
Things growing where they shouldn't be

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 06:04
by DD.
xx
Growing the right amount of things.

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 23:55
by pigeonpie

Page created in 1.955 seconds with 38 queries.