aubergines not producing fruit

• 31 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
aubergines not producing fruit
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:38 »
Have two aubergines in the greenhouse, plants have done really well helped by the warm weather last month, but despite lots of flowers there have been no fruit so far. The greenhouse is open and has plenty of insects and the peppers have produced plenty of fruit. Any thoughts?

compostqueen

Re: aubergines not producing fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56 »
They never do in my experience  :D  I'm in exactly the same boat as you and have done everything possible to get the darn things to fruit

I have had them fruit in the past but very sparsely. I did the best with varieties Bonica and Diamond.  What size pots are yours in? 

My plant looks wonderfully healthy and the flowers are perfect  :D

I say every year that I will give up on them and grow something worthwhile but I love them so am giving them one more try. If I fail again this year it's our love affair is definitely over  :)

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:06 »
They're in quite big pots cam't remember the variety. Thought I'd finally cracked it this year actually getting the plants to grow! Guess even wtih a greenhouse our weather just isn't suitable.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22 »
Mine is in a clay pot but it's not massive. I keep checking the bottom to see if there's any roots showing and there aren't so I think the pot must be big enough.  I think they're just divas  :)

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 13:43 »
Put them outside. I moved mine from the poly and now have several fruit.

Coldfeet

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 16:34 »
Mine are outside (have been since the end of May) and I have fruit on several plants, about plum size so far.  Lots of dropped flowers too.  Not sure they will have time to ripen fully though!   As this is the first year I have grown anything at all, I am thrilled to have any at all.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 17:05 »
Mine are outside now in the sun. I put them to bed at night though  :)

WulfrunFrank

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 19:41 »
This is the third year I have grown the variety Moneymaker (F1). The yield is the best I have ever had, about 4 fruits so far this year. They are grown in a greenhouse and a plastic covered mini greenhouse and all plants have masses of fruits to come. The fruits are not huge which will help with the ripening, so don't expect the monsters that you see in the supermarkets. Thoroughly recommended. 

Totty

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 21:25 »
This is the first year I've had good results. Not sure of the variety but they are long and thin, like long sausages. Maybe 6 per plant at the mo. they are in fairly small diameter, but deep pots, and have been feeding them very dilute tom feed every day same as tomatoes.

Totty

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 21:33 »
They have never failed me till this year in the PT ! This year they are excused as I am making major changes in there atm and its empty !
I cook therefore I grow

R6robbo

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 21:55 »
I,m growing "Black Beauty". I have 4 plants, 2 in the PT that are fairly small but have 1 fruit and a couple of flowers on each and i have 2 outside in a raised bed that are twice the size with an abundance of flowers and several fruit on each, the largest being small egg sized at the mo.
           These were all grown from seed at the same time and the 2 were planted out at approx 2 inches high
in early to mid june and are about 14-16 inches high now.
           My first time growing these so will be pleased if they get to maturity and i actually get to eat them. :D
After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 22:03 »
I,m growing "Black Beauty". I have 4 plants, 2 in the PT that are fairly small but have 1 fruit and a couple of flowers on each and i have 2 outside in a raised bed that are twice the size with an abundance of flowers and several fruit on each, the largest being small egg sized at the mo.
           These were all grown from seed at the same time and the 2 were planted out at approx 2 inches high
           My first time growing these so will be pleased if they get to maturity and i actually get to eat them. :D
I would suggest you put a cane in to support them if you haven't ,as they are prone to falling over  :)

R6robbo

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 22:18 »
I would suggest you put a cane in to support them if you haven't ,as they are prone to falling over  :)
I did when i noticed they were leaning at a 45 degree angle. LOL.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 22:58 »
Same here, lovely plants, plenty of flowers but no fruit!  They are in the big greenhouse.  I had similar last year when they were in the small greenhouse.  I thought it was that the insects weren't pollinating them.

The best ones I ever had was when I grew 4 plants outside in big pots.  I had loads of fruits then.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 23:06 »
I managed to get 2 small fruits on an outdoor patio variety (the name escapes me - but they were stripy white and pale purple) when I grew them in the greenhouse.

This year have 3 grafted aubs and they are prolific!
Will be making ratatouille next week - what with the peppers and courgettes as well! :D

xx
Aubergines flowering now.is there time for fruit to develop?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 14:10
by LivvyW
xx
Anyone else's courgettes still producing?

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 17:26
by compostqueen
xx
cucumbers not producing

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 08:25
by Skip
xx
PSB producing spears

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 17:17
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 37 queries.