mutations

• 27 Replies

bluealf

• Experienced Member
mutations
« on: August 13, 2013, 19:10 »
I think that is the best way to describe what I discovered at the plot today.

I went to dig up the last of my Kestrels and check on the size of my King Edwards, only to discover that 3 entire rows were now pink firs  :blink:

I had planted a row of pink firs in the same bed but they were planted in the very top row, I definitely can not have mixed them up as, for one the seed potato is obviously a pink fir (all nobly) and the 2nd most crucially I only bought 9 seed potatoes to test them out.

So the question is can a potato mutate somehow in germination, it is the oddest thing I have seen yet at the plot, even my dad was left bemused at it.

Not really bothered as I now have around 4 stone of pink firs and a quick furtle in the next 2 rows showed that these also were going to be pink firs.

In one row it started off with 8 big kestrels and then the rest were pink firs until the last plant of the row which was again kestrel potatoes.

Carlisle

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Re: mutations
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 20:43 »
I cannot even begin to understand what's gone on.  It's worrying.  Could this be the end of the World????
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 21:23 »
is it possible they are volunteers from last year ? pink fir are a lovely potatoe but it seems early to dig them as they are a late main ?
I cook therefore I grow

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 23:23 »
I'm pretty sure that in a case like this the obvious culprit is the potato fairy.

snow white

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52 »
Just when I told my son that gremlins really don't exist, we get proof to the contrary :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:39 »
Because my plot is my garden, I have to make the most of every inch of growing space, so this year (as every year) I carefully marked out where my two rows of Lady Chrystl were to be planted, leaving exactly enough space between them to excavate the trench and accommodate the soil for subsequent earthing up.

The seeds spuds were therefore planted in dead straight lines at the bottom of their two shallow trenches, but when they came up both rows were zigzagging all over the place, as if groups of them had been physically shifted a foot to one side or the other.  This made my carefully planned earthing up much more interesting of course! :ohmy: :unsure:

I know I had a baby fox problem about that time (repeatedly dug up shallots, a buried gardening glove  ::), flattened carrot enviromesh cage) but there was no evidence they had been near the spuds, least of all managing to replant them in a different place!
One previous year I did find a few spuds had been dug up, but the tell-tale tunnels were clearly visible and I was able to retrieve the spuds where they had been propelled at great velocity all over the garden!

I'm still completely baffled - a senior moment is always a possibility but even on a bad day I couldn't have planted them as higgledy piggledy as they eventually came up!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 18:44 »
is it possible they are volunteers from last year ? pink fir are a lovely potatoe but it seems early to dig them as they are a late main ?

No I had planted 4 or 5 pink firs last year but they were in a different bed.

Have you not tried pink firs in small form, like a salad potato, they are actually really nice like that but some of these are huge already, big enough to make wedges out of (heard they make good wedges).

Still it doesn't explain how all my rows are now pink firs  :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 19:27 »
I may be way off the mark..............but what makes you think they are PFA? are they really knobbly? or just the colouring?

Photos please  :)

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 20:19 »
They are knobbly, I will take a pic now and see if I can get it posted up

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 20:41 »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can almost see the transformation from the original potato (kestrel) as it turns into the finished article.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 20:50 »
That certainly looks like pink fir  :dry:

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 20:54 »
That certainly looks like pink fir  :dry:

Indeed  :tongue2:

So I plant 9 seed potatoes and have ended up with at least 6 rows of PF's, just very odd.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 20:59 »
make the most of them ! I love them as salad or chips  :)

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 21:01 »
Don't suppose you were in such a hurry to buy and plant them that you didn't pay close attention to what you got?  I've done that with leeks thinking I'd planted onions. 

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 21:03 »
Just when I told my son that gremlins really don't exist, we get proof to the contrary :nowink:

Oi !  :tongue2:

It wasn't me. 
Not Guilty. 
I wasn't even there .....
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Page created in 0.734 seconds with 39 queries.