Pectin source

• 25 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Pectin source
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02 »

I always use 4 oz of grated Bramleys to 1lb of low pectin fruit for jam

That's not quite what I meant - in the earlier post Mrs Bee mentioned keeping cores and peelings in the freezer for jellies. I was wondering whether the ratios are the same for that as for grated bramleys? (this is a very, very novice jammer over here!)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 15:26 »
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I get a bit rambly these days.

For jams I use the 4oz bramley to 1lb low pectin fruit jam.

For a sweet jelly I would use about half fruit and a quarter  of chopped Bramleys and a quarter of peel and cores.

I also make an apple and herb jelly using cores and skins.

Iused to make pectin stock with cores and skins but find grated apple works far better and less messing about with a collapsing jelly bag.  Althought he new stand OH made works really well. But it is still easier than making and storing pectin stock.

Apple and herb jelly recipe here in case you want it is
5lb cooking apples, ( I use what ever cores and peel I have in the freezer topped up with the whole apples.)
handful of the herb you are going to use
2 pints water
2pints white vinegar
8 tabs of your chosen herb chopped.

Apples and water in a pan with the handful of herbs, bring to the boil and simmer for 45 mins till soft and pulpy.
Stir to stop sticking or burning.
Add the vinegar and boil for a further 5 mins.
Put the resulting goo through a  jelly bag over night. DO NOT SQUEEZE the jelly beg or you will get cloudy jelly.
Throw out the goo and measure the juice. return to the pan with 1lb sugar to each pint of juice.
Heat gently till  sugar dissolves, then boil rapidly for about 10 minss till set is reached.  Remove any scum with a slotted spoon then stir in the rest of the herbs. Allow to cool slightly before potting so tha the herbs do not rise.

I use sage or rosemary, or mint. Sometimes i throw in some lemon shells and thyme.

I also use this recipe with apples and blackberries and herbs, apples and grapes, or apples and cranberries.
I use half and half.
Hope this helps. :)

Didn't you have a party on Sunday Surbie? Hope it went well.

surbie100

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 15:47 »
Thanks Mrs Bee!

I was thinking of using cores and peel in a muslin bag in the jam mix to minimise the grated apple. My Mum detests apple and blackberry jam, and has requested plain blackberry. She's v demanding is my l'il Mumski.

Thanks for the jelly recipe too - I've only ever made savoury jellies with strained apples, lemon and sugar, though to be fair I've so far only made chilli&apple jelly. Tasty though!

I want to make mint jelly - I have tons of mint up at the plot and haven't made any significant inroads into it yet this year. Seems a shame to leave the jars just lying around, unfulfilled... :wub:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 16:14 »
Your mumski sounds like my little sister.
My sisterski is a right pain in the 'arris about what she will and won't eat and always says she detests apples.

SO for Christmas she gets gooseberry and apple jam and blackberry and apple and strawberry with grated apple in.
I just don't write apple on the lable and she can't tell.

At 4oz to a pound of blackberries i will lay money on your mumski not noticing unless she has an allergy or something medical. :D

surbie100

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 16:27 »
Ah, Mumski's not too bad, it's the only one that she complains about. Mind, it's the only one with apples added...

She's left 9 jars of sour cherry jam (unset) in my flat for me to fix. Don't tell her but (whispers) I'm putting apple in it!

I need some more cheap strawbs from the market as the strawberry and lavender jam has *inexplicably* vanished.... :blush: I may add apple to see whether that sets the beggar this time!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 16:51 »
Ah, now for strawberry I use 4lb strawberries and 8oz of grated apple, and 5 tablespoons of lemon juice!

I have been tinkering around with loads of different recipes for strawb and this is the one that suits me best.
Can also use pulp of 6 passion fruit mixed in after you get it to a set.
Grated orange rind is good too.

I won't tell mumski about the apple, just don't tell my sisterski ;)

surbie100

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 17:03 »
I will try that if i can find enough strawbs on the market. It's just the strawberry&lavender one is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

PS My lips are sealed!

BobE

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 17:37 »
Waitrose has a twin pack of strawberries. You get two 400g = 800g punnets for £3

Picture of Ocado Strawberries Twin Pack 2 x 400g

800g = 1LB 12 oz.  You need 2 of these to get 3 1/2 LBs.  So you could make jam for £6.

I saw homemade 3/4 LB jars for sale in local GC £4 a jar.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 17:40 by BobE »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 17:41 »
What a conspiring pair you are Mrs Bee and Surbie! :lol:

I won't tell either ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 19:28 »
Waitrose has a twin pack of strawberries. You get two 400g = 800g punnets for £3

Picture of Ocado Strawberries Twin Pack 2 x 400g

800g = 1LB 12 oz.  You need 2 of these to get 3 1/2 LBs.  So you could make jam for £6.

I saw homemade 3/4 LB jars for sale in local GC £4 a jar.
BLimey, Bob that is more than I charge.

I get my strawbs from the wholesale fruit and veg market and they work out at 50p a pound. Not worth going and picking my own at that price.  And the ones I grow in the garden are too nice to go into jam. They get eaten on route to the kitchen. :wub:

Thanks for not splitting on us Devon. ;)

BobE

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 19:33 »
They have a craft stall, lots of jams and cakes and honey, stuff like that.  But very expensive.  My SM does a 370g jar of strawberry jam at £2.59  thats 3/4 pound.

xx
pectin

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 21:08
by chrissie B
xx
Pectin

Started by Membrillo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 20:26
by Membrillo
xx
Pectin, what is it?

Started by rictic on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:15
by johnfh
xx
Test Pectin

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 12:28
by Val H

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 37 queries.