News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

snowdrops

Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2014, 21:26 »
Lovely dogs Pamela. Tango looks adorable,good job you're not closer,although I could never have one,my hubby can't abide pets. He doesn't like that our son has a dog.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2014, 07:36 »
both look gorgeous Pamela and a credit to the care you give them.
My husband is the opposite to yours Snowdrops, I showed him a photo yesterday of a St.Bernhard who had been taken to a rescue because the owner is too ill to look after him properly and my Jim simply said "when are you going to fetch him?" On this occasion I was the one who said no - with 3 big dogs plus my little Rosie we have enough on - especially now the Newfies have swimming lessons   :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

snowdrops

« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2014, 07:43 »
Saying that he was the one concerned that it was too far for sons dog to go on holiday if we all went to Southern Ireland for a holiday this year.

Oliveview

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2014, 16:05 »
Thought I would update- Nieve the Galgo is going off to the UK on 15th April- to a foster home via the Birmingham Greyhound Protection group and Tano is off to a forever foster home in the UK via another rescue group.  Tano is now on 1 1/2 cups of dog biscuit and tinned meat with a little bit of Pasta/veg. 
Now on to the sad news-  yesterday we took our little Lola to the vet (ok, a skin infection, on antibiotics) on the way home we stopped at the shop of the refuge president.  A couple were there with two puppies, Spanish Mastin possible Labrador cross, about 2 months.  They had been thrown over the fence at the refuge, while the dogs were out on the field running about.  One of the dogs was injured as it fell, and the dogs on the field bit it, but not badly, well badly enough to need 4 stitches.  A vet came and sorted the poor puppy, he said the pup had a broken leg, so that evening we took it to a vet for an xray (the vet is setting up a new practice in the town, so no equipment yet) As the other vet thought, the back leg was broken, not just a little, totally shattered  and the hip broken badly too.  We took the decision to have the poor thing (named Symba and I said he could not die without a name) put to sleep.  The vet said poor Symba would have  lots of problems as he would be at least 40kg and would suffer lots as his weight would make him have a lot of pain.  If he were like Tibet, our dog, who had the femur head removed, it would be ok as Tibet is not a heavy dog and his body can cope with a sometimes lame leg, but a 40kg or more dog would be very hard for it. Also, who would re-home a 40kg or more dog who was more than likely doing to be ´disabled´ .
 Another factor we had to take into consideration was the cost, there is another dog, found with a bady broken leg (shot) his bill is nudging 2,000€ :ohmy:  Luckily, another bigger refuge took him on for us and we raise what we can for them. 
The vet said Symba´s injuries were caused by being dropped from a great height >:( :mad: :(  Sadly the people who saw the man throw the pups over the fence did not get the car numberplate.
A poo day.

Anyone want a Spanish Mastin/Labrador?  Looks like a very fluffy Andrex puppy!!!

Pamela

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2014, 18:39 »
A happy  story :) and a sad story :(
You made the right decision about the puppy - it's awful and sad but quality of life is so important. :(
The people that 'throw' dogs away are he ones that need shooting! :mad: Terrible.

You do such a good job Pamela xxxxx

joyfull

« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19 »
Great news about the two dogs getting their new forever homes. So sad about Symba, although I agree that was the best action you could do (sadly no insurance company would cover for any problems that arose from this injury in the future).

Oliveview

« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2014, 14:11 »
A 3 legged Spanish Mastin/Lab would have been very hard tofind a home for, a 4 legged one would be bad enough.  A lady did say a shepherd might be interested in the other pup- but we have seen how the shepherds treat their dogs!  I know that is what Mastin were bred for, but it is a very hard life for the dog and the shepherd.

Pamela

joyfull

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2014, 14:34 »
sadly most people from other countries or cultures aren't as soft as we are towards our four legged friends. I hope that if the shepherd does get the pup he will care for it  :)

Snoop

« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2014, 18:45 »
Maybe it would be worth meeting the shepherd concerned and his current dogs. Where we are, the shepherds who treat their dogs well far outnumber those who don't, and they are much, much better than hunters as their livelihood depends on their dogs. One of our dogs nearly went to a shepherd, and she would have made a fantastic dog for him, as she is always on the lookout for a job she thinks might need doing. We live in ideal circumstances for dogs and they are deeply loved and have lots of activity and stimulation and company all day, but even so I can see that she would have benefited from having a mission in life, especially with this particular shepherd, who is one of the kindest men I have ever met, including to his dogs.

Oliveview

« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2014, 21:02 »
You are right Snoop, I should make enquiries, I am doing what I get annoyed at other folk doing, judging without knowing!

Panela

Oliveview

« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2014, 10:24 »
The shepherd has aquired 2 mastin pups, so no home yet for the puppy, she is in foster care at the moment.

Update on the home front here-  Nieve, the Galgo,  goes off to the UK on the 15th April  :( :D  We take her to Malaga to start the first part of her transport to the UK  She will go to a dog ´hotel´ where a vet will go and check her health, give her the tick treatment and a worm tablet and then the next day she will start her journey to her new life with a foster family from the Birmingham Greyhound Protection group.  I am going to miss her she is such a sweetheart, walks well on the lead, is clean (except when we overslept one morning) She does not like the rain though, so one day I had to put her coat on and wrap a big plastic bin bag over it to get her to leave the house!!  Tano was due to go to a foster hime on the 29th, but due to a vet being ´correct´ and dating the passport for the next rabies jab for a months time, he will be delayed going.  Andalucia law states dogs/Cats and ferrets have to have 2 rabies jabs, else where is just one, the vet would not leave the due date empty- so Tano gets another 2 weeks and a bit here, not too bad.   
He is now on 2 meals of 1 1/2 cups of dog biscuit, 1/4 large tin of meat and a little pasta/veg mix, all well, no prolapse,  he helps himself to windfall oranges, peel and all!!  They stop him from getting constipated  :lol: :lol:
The vet last night had no real idea as to what breed Tano is  :lol: :lol: 
Our house will soon be a bit quieter, fingers crossed!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2014, 06:27 »
Today is the day- NIeve the galgo starts her journey to her new life and a safe life from hunters.
I am goig to miss her like hell.  We meet up with Antonio, who transports the dogs to the UK soon.  She will go off to Benidorm way, where she will be checked by a vet on Monday and all the paperwork/pill/tick stuff given.
On the happy side, we gain back our spare bedroom from the cats!

Pamela

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2014, 21:22 »
You must be so proud to have done such a good job with Nieve - you really brought her back to life, so yes, you'll miss her, but be happy.
I hope her future life is just as happy as the time she's had with you  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2014, 16:59 »
I will be happy when Tano goes, he keeps eating my flowers!!
He has pulled 3 palms off my palm tree, they are razor sharp too!  The blackberry crop will be down too, he has pulled loads up!!

Pamela

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2014, 17:11 »
Pamela, I really don't know how you cope with such terrible things day after day. I really admire your tenacity, and what a difference the refuge is making to these dogs.

On balance, it is more good news than not I think  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 37 queries.