News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2014, 22:21 »
You are certainly a glutton for punishment Pamela.  Do you mean the puppies were left at your house or the refuge?

Poor little things.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53 »
poor wee puppies, also I cant help but worry about the mother dog she must be distraught. Fingers crossed the pups make it :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2014, 17:28 »
The pups are now with their new carer, the lady has hand reared puppies before, so is experienced. I fed them every 2-2 1/2 hours throughout the night. I feel like I have been out on the town, very hung over!!
They were left at the refuge door. 

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2014, 12:13 »
We are fostering another refuge pup, he is huge!  Poor Tano, 5 months old, has had 2 operations for a prolapsed anus.  The last one was 3 weeks ago, last night it popped back out, luckily this morning it was back in again.  He had his breakfast, dog meat, a little pasta and peas and carrots (what the vet said to give him) and did a poo, out it popped again, but only a small bit and went back in (hope you are not eating your meal while reading this)
Tano is a playing machine, he loves our Labrador Charlie, Charlie is very patient with him, puts up with the ear pulling etc.
One of the puppies at the refuge was adopted yesterday, which was good news.
The pups that were abandoned are doing well, eyes opened and wobbling about the lady says!

Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2014, 14:00 »
Pamela ask you vet if it is ok to use a little haemorrhoid cream on his prolapse - it might help it shrink a little  :) 

Oliveview

« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2014, 14:12 »
He would need a whole tube!!

Pamela

snowdrops

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2014, 22:08 »
Poor pup he has my sympathies  ???
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Oliveview

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2014, 19:00 »
Update- pups prolapse is still inside- so no prolapse!  The puppies are suspected to be Spanish Water dog, lovely dogs, they are growing up fast, the lady who took them is keeping me updated.
This weekend I managed to get close to a galgo dog that has been wandering here for a few weeks.  I put a photo of her on my facebook page and a lady in the UK has found a space for him at the Greyhound rescue in Birmingham, so today I went and ´caught´ the galgo.  He was being ´fed´ by a family, not very well, she was skin and bone- the dish was cat food size! When we went back to take the dog the man said we could not take her, he had fed her for 15 days- we asked if he wanted to keep her- no- but he did not want us to take her as he had fed her for 15 days-  his wife came out and said take her! So we have taken her to another refuge, ours has no room, and soon she will go to the UK.  We got her checked for a microchip- none- what a surprise.  She is a very gentle dog, a person dog.  She was excellent in the car- I guess she is used to travelling in the back of a car/trailer to go hunting. 
It was on the tv the other night,around 20-30,000 galgo dogs will be abandoned in Spain every year- disgusting.
The end of January begins the closed season for hunting- so time to abandon the dogs you can not be bothered to feed, or shoot them, hang them, throw them down old wells, maim them so they cannot walk- anything but feed them and look after them.

Pamela

snowdrops

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2014, 19:13 »
That is good news for the rescued dog but horrendous news about all the other abandoned dogs. Are there moves in Spain to get all dogs licensed or something?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2014, 20:50 »
It's shocking how some people treat animals. :mad:
I've heard of beagles being treated like that here when they are past their best :mad:

Good job there are good peeps like you about Pamela :)

Oliveview

« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2014, 21:11 »
Forgot to say, Tano the pup with the problem b*m has gone to a new foster home- our cats are relieved! 
ALL dogs, cats and ferrets are supposed to be microchipped- out of all the refuge dogs only 2 have been found to have a chip- and one of them we did not want to return, she had been used as a breeding machine we were sure, but there was nothing we could do about it, the law said she was owned by the chip owner >:( Not that he had ever reported her as missing.  She had been checked for a chip, but none found, it turned up way down her body, a volunteer found it while petting her.

Pamela

Snoop

« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2014, 21:48 »
Hello Oliveview, what a heroic job you are doing. I live out in the countryside in Teruel and can confirm what you say about abandoned hunting dogs in Spain. Round here, it's not the locals who abandon their dogs but hunters from elsewhere who just leave them when they head home. Even the locals, however, have a very matter-of-fact approach to their animals, to put it politely.

Where I lived before, there was a plot of land waiting to be built on. Every summer before the holidays and shortly after Christmas, all kinds of animals would be lobbed over the fence onto this patch of land. We took in cats, dogs, tortoises and rabbits. We were like the local zoo at one point, with kids stopping to peer in through the gate.  We found homes for most of the animals, a few we took to our local cat and dogs home. The rabbits tended to disappear, however, I hope to multiply rather than down nextdoor's rottweiler's gullet. All of our cats were abandoned there, including a truly gorgeous Tonkinese and a couple of moggies that we still have. The Tonkinese peed everywhere around the house when we took her in and I'm sure she was chucked out because somebody was more interested in their parquet and couldn't be bothered to house train her.

Oliveview

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2014, 13:14 »
Well, Tano did not stay at the other family for long, he is now back on our sofa-  I am trying my best to find a home for him.  I intend to take some a nice photo or two of him this afternoon, I will post one here. He has had no more problems, he eats meat/pasta and veg and oranges he picks up that fall off the tree, peel and all- which passes through him!!!   :lol:
 We also have a galgo, (type of greyhound) she was abandoned in the olive grove   she was so skinny.  A lovely lady in the UK said she would sponsor her and find a foster home/home for her in the UK, which is happening.  Another refuge agreed to take Nieve, but after her blood tests were positive for Leishmania they said to take her out (After they had recieved almost 300€) they never refunded any of the money!!!  We went to collect her,she was skinnier than when we left her there, I was shocked! For the money they had not fed her much!   We have had her here now for just over 2 weeks and she had gained over 6kg, her weight is all but perfect now.  All being well, she will be off to the UK very soon.  I will post a photo of her too! 
Off to take a photo or two

Pamela
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 16:25 by Oliveview »

Oliveview

« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2014, 16:27 »

Nieve, looking fabulous!

Tano

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2014, 20:10 »
They look so cute!
And they look so well cared for and loved. They are lucky dogs. :)

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 37 queries.