Rhubarb from seed...

• 22 Replies

Lardman

Re: Rhubarb from seed...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 14:54 »
Just wondering why............is your soil sandy or chalky, cos it prefers a slightly acid soil  :unsure:

I'm growing in a sand pit MoS but each time I plant a crown I prepare the site properly with plenty of organic material. It's entirely me - I have bad rhubarb juju it's one of the things I just can't grow. 

Flippin 'eck, I'll post ya some. The Triffid's:

You shouldn't have done that ! Now I've looked it the entire row will wilt and die  :lol:  ::)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 16:50 »

Flippin 'eck, I'll post ya some. The Triffid's:

You shouldn't have done that ! Now I've looked it the entire row will wilt and die  :lol:  ::)

;) This be the 'allotment' variety of rhubarb, ya can't kill it. Those were from a very old crown that was about 3ft in diameter, I sawed it into quarters and the 3 you see in the picture are second year growth, I'l probably have to move them next year as they are encroaching onto next door. Happily post you a chunk if I do.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 22:14 »
We couldn't get rhubarb to grow from roots; it never seemed to thrive and soon died off. One root was already going mushy on delivery.

This year we tried again from seed: Unwins Early Red, sowed in the mini greenhouse in early May, and then hardened-off and potted-on in increasing pot sizes until planting out in September. Had good germination, 5/6 seeds grew, and got 4 good plants. It's growing so strongly we might risk taking a few stalks next year.
DSC01998.JPG

allotmentann

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 06:59 »
Yes, I have done well with seeds. Like Lardman I have always been a rhubarb killer, I have finally got some bought crowns to take at the lotty and the seed raised ones are doing great.
I have one crown in my garden at home that was there when I bought the house, it produces an average one stalk every year! But my garden soil is very sandy, so I think soil makes a huge difference. Not sure why I leave it there really. I should probably dig it up and take it to the plot.
The quality of crowns arriving through the post does seem to vary drastically and I have had a number of very poor ones, from usually good companies.

Lardman

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 16:58 »
I spy with my little eye something being with 'R'  :D

From the 35 plants I started with so far this year this lonely glaskins is the only show, I shall call him Billy - Billy no mates  :lol:  :nowink:
last_name_standing.jpg

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 18:00 »
I spy with my little eye something being with 'R'  :D

From the 35 plants I started with so far this year this lonely glaskins is the only show, I shall call him Billy - Billy no mates  :lol:  :nowink:

Awwww bless. At least three of my seed sown rhubarb has survived their first Bulgarian winter. The neighbours are fascinated and have asked if it is edible.

Some of us say so. :lol: I shall be doing a tasting for all neighbours if we get enough. :D

allotmentann

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 19:13 »
Lardman, I am so pleased for you. I feel your pain. I have only one plant showing so far, and it is one I grew from seed!  :nowink:

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 00:52 »
After losing five crowns last year (perhaps six if the remaining one doesn't come up) I planted six rhubarb seeds after speaking with Lardman via PM. Thankfully five of them came up and amazingly all those five have come up again after a period of dormancy. How many will make it to become full sized rhubarb plants I'll have to wait and see, but five isn't bad a number to be trying it :)

xx
rhubarb from seed

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2021, 17:10
by moose
xx
Rhubarb going to seed

Started by poppies on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 14:07
by Trillium
xx
Rhubarb going to seed ?

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 22:17
by DD.
xx
Rhubarb From Seed?

Started by Locksie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 16:02
by mabel

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 36 queries.