Maniac geese

• 15 Replies

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
Maniac geese
« on: August 08, 2013, 15:53 »
Hi, right...the back story.
I'm pretty new to this game in that I only got my plot a month or so ago. It's lovely, busy clearing out etc etc, but.......opposite me we have three geese on site (2 female, 1 male). They pretty much get the run of the place but wow, they are some crazy birds, hissing chasing etc. is there any way to calm them/chase them off? I only want to get too and from my gate haha

snowdrops

Re: Maniac geese
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 15:54 »
Are they loose :mad: & should they be :ohmy: I would imagine they are just protecting their area after all they can be used as guard dogs/geese.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 15:55 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 17:16 »
Geese shouldn't be left loose to run all over the allotments!  If they take a dislike to you, they can inflict serious injuries with those wings and beaks!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 21:26 »
Do they belong to someone or are they wild?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 22:59 »
Having had a couple of geese, I'm surprised ANYTHING would be left growing if they have the run of the allotment.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36 »
There are several people with geese on our allotments and they are all caged in securely with biggish runs.  How inconsiderate and dangerous to let these geese run wild.  Call your allotment manager!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

The Red Baron

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:47 »
Yeah they belong to someone, 99% of the time they are fine but sometimes they get a little defensive. They are used as guard animals as we had a spate of break ins

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 14:29 »
It is a difficult one, you might be best having a quiet word with the owner who may be able to keep them contained during daylight and out on a night to do guard duties.   :unsure:

BobE

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 14:32 »
It is a difficult one, you might be best having a quiet word with the owner who may be able to keep them contained during daylight and out on a night to do guard duties.   :unsure:

Do fox's not take Geese?

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 14:35 »
I presume that if they are out already the owners have assessed any risk to them.   ;)

The Red Baron

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 15:30 »
I'd love to see the fox that could take these bad boys.....haha

Helenaj

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 18:08 »

Do fox's not take Geese?

It's a brave fox that takes on three fully grown geese. They will usually go for far easier prey. That's why a lot of farmers run geese with their chooks. I've always found that the best way to most hearts is through the stomach. For a few days, every time you visit take them a treat, they will soon come around!

BobE

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 18:16 »

It's a brave fox that takes on three fully grown geese. They will usually go for far easier prey. That's why a lot of farmers run geese with their chooks. I've always found that the best way to most hearts is through the stomach. For a few days, every time you visit take them a treat, they will soon come around!

So why don't chicken keepers just run a few geese with their chickens?  It seems obviouse or is there a downside.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 18:21 »

So why don't chicken keepers just run a few geese with their chickens?  It seems obviouse or is there a downside.
geese are noisy ,messy and hungry 5 geese = 1 cow on grass consumption . And most don't have the space  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Helenaj

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 18:23 »

geese are noisy ,messy and hungry 5 geese = 1 cow on grass consumption . And most don't have the space  :)
[/quote]

Although cows do play havoc in the duck pond!  :D :D

xx
Geese

Started by Scrubby on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 11:27
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Would the geese have done it?

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 17:30
by evie2
xx
Geese

Started by Nails on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 19:04
by Nails
xx
Geese

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 21:52
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.