Who uses play sand in their run?

• 15 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Who uses play sand in their run?
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:38 »
Hi people, who uses play sand in their runs? I have 3 sections in walkin run i try to poo pick every couple of days but it still smells alot. Would play sand make any difference?

Mo :)

splash101

Re: Who uses play sand in their run?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 14:52 »
Does your run have a roof on it?

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51 »
Yup it's got roof :-)
I get alot of flies on droppings on dry days and smells really bad and i can't spray everyday. I think with sand it might be easier to pick up the droppings

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08 »
I have not tried it but I don't think play sand will make any difference. You could try mixing with Stalosan F or Biodry. These are a type of disinfectant. I don't know about the Biodry but the Stalosan f will break down naturally - they are both in powder form so easy to use. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 14:25 »
I second the Stalosan F powder, it really does work.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 19:33 »
I use stalosan f every few days.. But when they poop flies are all over in the run.. I brushed today again and sprayed.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 20:18 »
I bought a red cap fly trap this year and it worked really well.  You put it away from where you want the flies to be, the only down side is it smells really bad so unless you have a really big garden it is a definite NO, NO.   :wacko:

I did try the kiln dried sand (similar to play sand) for my quail once but found it really drew in the moisture from the air and was damp very quickly.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 20:31 »
I bought a red cap trap 2 years ago and it worked like a dream but the smell was rank :( It covered the smells of the scented plants and crept into the house. :ohmy:

Last year we hardly gor any flies 'cos of the weather but his year there have been loads. :(

I tried an experiment and made my own version of the red cap trap. Made a trap with a 2 litre pop bottle and filled it with about 4cm water a couple of mackeral heads and some meat fluid.

It works really well and doesn't stink the garden out. I refresh every 4 days or so.

it helps if you place them in sun.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 20:43 »
I bought a red cap trap 2 years ago and it worked like a dream but the smell was rank :( It covered the smells of the scented plants and crept into the house. :ohmy:

Last year we hardly gor any flies 'cos of the weather but his year there have been loads. :(

I tried an experiment and made my own version of the red cap trap. Made a trap with a 2 litre pop bottle and filled it with about 4cm water a couple of mackeral heads and some meat fluid.

It works really well and doesn't stink the garden out. I refresh every 4 days or so.

it helps if you place them in sun.

I will definitely be giving that a try, thanks a million for the tip.   ;)  I had to put the red cap trap in the bin tonight as hubby was complaining about the smell.  To be honest I think it was overfull with flies and it had only been up for 2 months.  They are supposed to last around 3 months but as you have said the fly population is really bad this year.  >:(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 20:51 »
I am glad it is not just me with the problem. We keep our girls clean and use the Stalosan but there are still so many flies. Some mornings it is like a horror film. :ohmy:

I have one of these traps in the run and one on the patio so they go to the trap and not in my kitchen.

Very easy to make. I will post a piccy after tomorrow's do. Will do it with a new trap tho' 'cos they do look gross when full.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 21:04 »
I don't think it is the chickens as we had problems before we got them.

You can start a topic with it as I am sure loads of people would be interested.  If you put some fablon round the sides of the pop bottle you won't need to look at the horrid things dying.   ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 21:09 »
Oh I don't have problems with the look of them :lol:

But I thought people here might.

barley

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 21:17 »
we have lanes full of fallen leaves here so every 2 weeks or so we collect a couple of sacks and clean out the old ones from the run which incidentally go on the compost heap for next years veggies

chooks love it as its full of creepy crawlies and it stays quite crispy and dry till we replace again

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 21:24 »
we have lanes full of fallen leaves here so every 2 weeks or so we collect a couple of sacks and clean out the old ones from the run which incidentally go on the compost heap for next years veggies

chooks love it as its full of creepy crawlies and it stays quite crispy and dry till we replace again

Don't tell me it is Autumn already!   :ohmy:  Great idea though.   ;)

barley

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 22:05 »

Don't tell me it is Autumn already!   

LOL - they are from last autumn - wales is hilly and windy so leaves gather in drifts and stay there till they decompose or I gather them up  ;)

xx
play sand for the girls

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 17:50
by karlooben
xx
Do chicks play?

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 19:55
by karlooben
xx
new babies gone out to play

Started by babe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 16:41
by babe
xx
chicken run below a play house?

Started by binxyboo on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 09:05
by Sassy

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 37 queries.