Which plants do not like lime

• 19 Replies

gypsy

Which plants do not like lime
« on: August 07, 2013, 17:52 »
I intend to lime my plot at the end of this season, which beds should I avoid? Any advice on what kind of lime and anything else related to this subject would be appreciated.
Catherine

Beetroot queen

Re: Which plants do not like lime
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 18:40 »
Dont lime the spud bed, i think thats right, i put mushroom compost on my spuds and some suffered scab

Someone will correct if i am wrong though

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 19:00 »
You're spot-on BQ  ;) Keep potatoes as far away from lime as possible when you rotate your crops around the plot.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 19:21 »
Best advice is to click on "Allotment and Gardens at the top right and read all about it.

It is very easy to overlime. Be sure that you need it.

seaside

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 19:55 »
Down in this far flung part of the empire, much of the soil has been derived from the granite belly of the far Southwest and given that the climate/market has suited brassica growing for hundreds of years here, there's a lime kiln on every street corner ... well, sort of.
Brassicas and some fruit benefit from it, but as above, it can be overdone with disappointing consequence, especially if soil is not leaning toward acidic, or fire related.

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 21:09 »
Thanks for your replies.
I am sure that I need to lime my plot. All the allotments on site are acid and I have had my plot for 8 yrs and never applied lime. I cannot do a test on the soil because I have my plot divided up into 15 beds and every bed has been treated differently over the yrs with manure, composts, leaf mould and different feeds. So I would need to do 15 tests.
What do I do where I have established fruit bushes and rhubarb plants? I was thinking of leaving that bit.
I will lime the plot except where I am going to grow spuds.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 21:54 »
If you have not limed in eight years why do you think you need to now? Have you been having problems with poor root development or yellowing defficient plants.

A lime kit will usually do 4 or 5 tests. Take a few trowell fulls from each of your 15 plots, mix them all together and test the mixture. If this average is acid, say pH6 or less, then perhaps you are right. Then you need to buy more kits and test each of the 15 plots. If you are going to apply science then you must do it properly and not guess.

Rhubarb and blueberries like it acid. Potatoes like it a bit acid. Most other fruit and vegetables like it a bit alkaline

gypsy

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 14:32 »
Yes Salmo, my plants are all looking sickly and that is the only thing that I can put it down to as they have all been well fed and watered. A lot of the plot holders on our site lime their plots.
I will get a kit and test the soil. I have never done a test before,. Are the electronic probes or the ones where you mix the soil with water best? Do Black currants and gooseberries like acid soil?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 14:36 by gypsy »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 15:08 »
On the whole the cheap probe pH testers seem to get the thumbs down whenever they are discussed in these forums, so I definitely recommend the chemical ones for believable and consistent results.

In theory blackcurrants and gooseberries both prefer a slightly acid soil, although in reality they are pretty pH tolerant (within reason!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 17:22 »
Thankyou for your reply

gypsy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 18:02 »
What does everyone think? If I lime in September can I manure in feb/march

al78

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 00:22 »

Yes.

BobE

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16 »

You seem rather desperate.  Have you talked to the other plot holders?  Is that possible?  Can you compare results across the set of allotments.  Why do you think there is a problem.  After 8 years why is this suddenly raising it head.?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 07:18 »
You seem rather desperate.  Have you talked to the other plot holders?  Is that possible?  Can you compare results across the set of allotments.  Why do you think there is a problem.  After 8 years why is this suddenly raising it head.?

Why desperate  :unsure:  I thought Gypsy was just asking for opinions and advice as to the best way forward  :)  Bet bet if you are not sure  ;)  :)

gypsy

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46 »
No I am not desperate, but I want to get it right so am asking people what has worked for them.
My plot produces some nice veg but it never seems as good as that of fellow plot holders. When I ask them for advice I think they are scared that I want to put my veg in the shows and they do not want the competition so are economical with advice. I want my veg on my plate not on the show table.

xx
Compost for lime hating plants

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2019, 09:52
by New shoot
xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
Lime

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 18:14
by argonaut
xx
When to lime?

Started by Minty on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 14:36
by Lynne

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 38 queries.