ecoflex chicken coop

• 26 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: ecoflex chicken coop
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 22:07 »
The thing with putting wire underneath runs, is how long between moves?  grass grows really quickly sometimes and if you get poo build up, it can be awkward to move.

Their feet should be okay, as I did try it once under one of my small arcs, but the chickens were in a bigger run most of the day anyway.

That 2nd coop looks like all the other Chinese type things, even if they say made in UK, and they usually aren't very robust.  We have had several people ask Brian to fix them when they start to fall apart.

It is easier to make one yourself, or perhaps buy a 6x4 shed and convert it, but  it is more difficult if you aren't very good at DIY.

This was probably the best one that Brian made for me.  The base was an old pallet that didn't have any gaps in it, and the whole thing cost £60 to make.  It lasted us 8 or 9 years, then Brian sold it at an auction when he was giving up the chickens, and it made £75!   ;)
small chook house 30nov06 (480 x 360).jpg

BobE

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 22:54 »
The thing with putting wire underneath runs, is how long between moves?  grass grows really quickly sometimes and if you get poo build up, it can be awkward to move.

Their feet should be okay, as I did try it once under one of my small arcs, but the chickens were in a bigger run most of the day anyway.

That 2nd coop looks like all the other Chinese type things, even if they say made in UK, and they usually aren't very robust.  We have had several people ask Brian to fix them when they start to fall apart.

It is easier to make one yourself, or perhaps buy a 6x4 shed and convert it, but  it is more difficult if you aren't very good at DIY.

This was probably the best one that Brian made for me.  The base was an old pallet that didn't have any gaps in it, and the whole thing cost £60 to make.  It lasted us 8 or 9 years, then Brian sold it at an auction when he was giving up the chickens, and it made £75!   ;)

But as that thing stands a fox will easily get into it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 22:55 by BobE »

rogersimons

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 06:02 »
ghost61 how do you find the ecoflex house is it easy to clean to keep mite free as it says in the info?does it blow about in strong winds? thinking i might do as you and build an external run for it have got any pics of your setup?

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54 »
I put extra strong weld mesh (with the large mesh) under the hen house with about a foot overlap all round the house. I only needed one piece for my house and it cost about £10 9 years ago. You can buy it on a roll from agricultural merchants. It is quite thick so does not try to roll up when you move the house and is easily moved. I would advise moving the hens at least once a week - do not wait for them to trash the area. This way you keep your grass healthy with a ready supply of it and it will be ok to move them back again in a couple of weeks :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32 »
I have the Sussex House and double run, extended as mentioned. A long as you are young and lithe it's not a problem to clean! Will change to a walk in when I am old!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 12:52 »
But as that thing stands a fox will easily get into it.

True, but as I was talking about the coop, not the run, that's irrelevant. 

Our runs used to cover nearly half of our half acre garden, with up to 15 coops and henhouses housing up to 500 birds, it was difficult and expensive to put covered runs up, so most of our fences were 6ft high (that photo was done in the early days when we only had ex batts).  We have never lost a chicken to a fox or anything else in the 11 years we've been here.

BobE

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 14:37 »
Thats an impressive collection Grannie,  I was only trying to alert them to the dangers until some of you more experienced keepers came along.

rogersimons

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 16:17 »
thankyou all for your advise after alot of shopping around and listening to advise i have decided to go with a 12ft x 9ft x 6ft high aviary with mesh roof and a 9 bird free standing coop.that way if i decide to get more i have the room.hopefully this will be good enough yes?

Mbmyco2

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 16:46 »
had a cocoon type unit for two years now still in great condition we took an old greenhouse covered it in avery wire put tarpaulin on roof and the chickens now get to run free when they want then we let them out of the run into larger run in the morning
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 16:46 »
Thats an impressive collection Grannie,  I was only trying to alert them to the dangers until some of you more experienced keepers came along.

I know Bob, but I wasn't trying to tell people they don't need good fox protection, only saying about building a more substantial coop.

I think we have been lucky here, as foxes have been seen in the village on occasions, but we have the dog who is always hunting in the garden, and she goes in the chicken runs.  Also we have dykes round ¾ of the garden, and a big fence on the other bit.  So maybe that helps keep them out.

But foxes are very persistent little beggars, and you can't be complacent, ever!  :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 17:58 »
I don't think mesh is a good idea in the bottom of a chicken run, not good for their little feet. Slabs would be a far better and longer lasting option, easy to clean too.

rogersimons

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 18:33 »
wont the rats just tunnel under slabs???

xx
chicken coop and run

Started by Paddyfromdown on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 20:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicken coop

Started by Chris B on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:22
by Dominic
xx
Chicken coop

Started by wildeone on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 19:04
by wildeone
question
DIY Chicken Coop

Started by Muckytyke on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 19:55
by birmancats

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 35 queries.