ecoflex chicken coop

• 26 Replies

rogersimons

ecoflex chicken coop
« on: August 06, 2013, 16:54 »
hi guys first post from me.im getting 4 light sussex bantams end of the month and am looking at differant coops and runs.is this any good  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130960035614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 i want somthing that will keep them dry look good and most of all be eaisy to clean.other than that ive ruled out the cocoon coops as they are made of fir wood which ive been told will rot very quickly.any suggestions welcomed thanks roger

helens-hens

Re: ecoflex chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 17:22 »
Hi Roger. 2 points that come to mind are space and weight. It isn't big enough for the hens to live in full time - do you have a run in mind or are you going to let them free range? Medium sized hens should, I think have a minimum of about 2 square meters each or you can get problems with bullying & so on.

The other thing is that it mentions it is very light which also makes me wonder how strong it is. You don't want something that could get blown around in strong winds.

Hope this helps
Helen

rogersimons

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 17:29 »
my other choice was this as i thought it might be too small too   http://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/sussex-double-run.htm is this one better

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 17:45 »
We bought one of these for three light sussex. Added our own run to square it off, if you see what I mean?? It is great and they are very happy scratching around in it. I think it would be too small for four as it stands.

BobE

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 17:46 »
That looks really nice.  How would you stop a fox digging under the frame?

rogersimons

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 17:57 »
not in a fox area been here 4 yrs and never seen one also garden has a 6ft fence all around.very nice are you refering to the ecoflex or the other one.

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 18:03 »
I liked the second, the bigger one.  But fox's are every ware, and can jump a garden fence.  They might dig under the run or even lift it.

I've just looked at the pictures of the larger run which is very nice looking.  However a fox will easily get under and into the run.  There are ways to stop this, but I would like the others here describe the solutions as they know better than I.

Can you put your location in please.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 18:07 by BobE »

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 18:08 »
Very true BobE. We have wire underneath the hou and run and also have staked it down to stop the foxes that we know are around from getting in.

rogersimons

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 19:57 »
i plan on shutting the chickens in at night and mabe the reason we dont have foxes is every house has dogs including me i have 2 ..there are several houses around me that keep chickens free range and have never had problems.

BobE

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 20:00 »
Well the run is very attractive and I wish you the best.  Post some pics when its all up and running, please.

rogersimons

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 20:10 »
youve got me worried now about foxes lol i live in a very rual village just a few houses surrounded by crop fields.i know there is field mice about as my neibours 2 cats bring them home every night so got a couple of good mousers that come in my garden and visit. i liked the idea of the coop with run to be portable so i could move it around and give them fresh ground (i got a big garden) when theve distroyed their bit so digging wire into the ground dosnt make sense it would make it static.im open to all oppions i just want to get it right first time so im not buying things twice..hence why i thought of the ecoflex coop to get rid of mites easily

BobE

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 20:20 »
Im no expert, but I read what others say.  Ghost said she has the wire under the run.  So what about adding a base of very strong wire mesh to the run.  Then it would still move.  You could let them out of the run if people were in the garden and just put them in it when your out.  Then put them to bed at night in the coop.  Se what the others say, you've got a few days? Or do you need to order soon?

BobE

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 20:24 »

You can see that the run and the coop are easy to access to get inside from under the frame.  It might be worth reenforching the base timber frame and fitting strong wire mesh (Not chicken wire) across the bottom.

rogersimons

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 20:39 »
i see what you mean but woundnt that stop them scratching about and enjoying themselves i suppose i could just let them free range when im in and about and let them stay in the run when im not about.that way no need for the extra run and it leaves me with the question of the ecoflex coop or wooden coop? no rush hens not ready untill end of month.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 20:40 by rogersimons »

BobE

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 20:44 »
Let others give a view but yes.  Mesh in the bottom of the run.  Let then free range when your home, into the run if you go out, into the coop for bed.  See what others have to say though.

xx
Has anyone got the chicken coop?

Started by RuthG on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 17:41
by Kevscoops
xx
Chicken coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:11
by shiatsusu
xx
chicken coop

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:22
by Beano
xx
chicken coop and run

Started by Paddyfromdown on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 20:19
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.