Wire Fence - Best Height?

• 33 Replies

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
Re: Wire Fence - Best Height?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26 »
Thanks, I note there's more emphasis on keeping the fox out rather than the chickens in. Now I hope my next statement doesn't turn round and bite me - but, we don't have a fox problem.

I have seen them in the urban areas and where I used to live, they were very prolific. However in the 5 years I've been living in this large village I haven't seen one and I'm also around a lot in the wee small hours so I think if they were a problem I would have seen one by now. The only thing we do have wandering around the village is deer, last year one gave birth under the bushes in our front garden! Our garden is completely enclosed by a 7ft fence which also helps to keep out uninvited guests.

During the day there's usually someone at home and we decided if we were both out we would probably leave them in the secure attached run, (see the photo), so again, I don't think Mr Reynard is going to be a problem and we can see the run from the kitchen window and patio doors. As I said I hope this statement doesn't turn round and bite me!

So, assuming I'm right about the fox would this change the advice regarding fence height to just keeping the hens in, we have decided we are clipping wings as an extra precaution.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I'm not young enough to know everything!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09 »
Mr Reynard may not have visited your garden/area as there was nothing of interest to him but now there is I would say you are better to be safe than sorry.  It could be that the foxes in your area have plenty to eat but there will come a time when they are extra hungry and could pay you a visit. 

Mine free range in the garden during the day so if a fox pays a visit I have to be prepared to pay for the consequences.  Personally I think mine have a better quality of life having the freedom but it is always a fine balance that can go wrong.

The problem with wing clipping is that if a fox does get in they have less chance of escaping.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 11:48 »
We had a visit from the fox last week. Our fences and gates are 7ft and they have no problem getting over them. I make sure our chickens are locked up every night, but if it came around in the daytime i think it would be easy pickings for him. I work from home so I'm around in the day but they are so shifty and quick.

The only thing the fox made off with last week was my daughter's shoe that had been left by the back door. We found it in the next street under and apple tree, wreaking off fox .

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 22:39 »
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice, this is just an update . last Sunday we got 3 hens and then 2 more the following Wednesday from the same flock, due to lay any day now - fingers crossed!

I have taken on board everything that's been said even though it may appear as though I've overlooked some of the advice given. I'm still confident that there isn't a fox problem here, (fingers crossed again), so I have proceeded accordingly.

If you look at the photos on the first page of this thread and then compare with the one on this page, you will see the improvements made over the week. They are now completely enclosed with a 6ft fence on two sides and a 4ft.6in wire netting fence on the other two sides, with wire buried 18in down.

At night we ensure they are locked safely away in the hen house which the makers claim is fox proof, still confident there wont be any daylight attacks here. In any case, there is usually one of us at home and the run is only about 10ft from the kitchen door and patio doors so they are easily observed at all times.

We are currently using shredded paper ion the nest boxs and hemp on the floor. Today we tried to buy some hemp from a farm shop but he didnt have any but recommended chopped rape seed straw, looks good, is it OK and does it compost down OK?

One of the hens was cackling announcing she had laid at 8:45am the day before yesterday so we really are expecting the first egg any day now, think she was just having a practice. When I went back on Wednesday to get the extra two hens the owners told us that she had the first egg that day, (Wednesday), and they are 19 weeks old.

We are feeding layers pellets of course but while in the farm shop today a lady asked for layers mash, when and how would I need to feed that? 50 years ago, (the last time I had chickens), we used to boil up potato peelings and mash them up with layers mash and feed it still warm to warm the hens up, they loved it!! With the Defra ruling on kitchen scraps I guess thats a 'no no' now.

Sorry about all the extra questions.
DSCF2489.JPG

Sparkyrog

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 22:43 »
If your feeding pellets you don't need to worry about mash  :)
I cook therefore I grow

BobE

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 22:46 »
I like what I see.  I don't see the point of the run?  If it was just the house and the pen that you have built then that seems to be enough.  Looking at it the run serves no purpose.

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 22:53 »
Yes, good point Bob, we got the hen house and run not realising how small the run actually was. Although they said it was designed for 2 -3 hens we thought there's clearly not enough space.

After building the enclosure we decided to leave the run on as it would provide more protection against a possible fox attack at night as the doors to the small run are bolted shut as part of the 'shutting away routine'.

However, we may well yet remove it - or we might put a polythene roof on it to keep the food dry and the hens if they wanted shelter in the winter.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 22:54 »
I like what I see.  I don't see the point of the run?  If it was just the house and the pen that you have built then that seems to be enough.  Looking at it the run serves no purpose.

I had a similar one when I first got my hens and found it handy as I could leave the coop door open and the hens could get up early and be safe in the small run.  Mine did have a roof on the run which gave them added shade and kept their food dry as well.

I think Layers mash is mainly used for Ex bats as they are generally fed on it.

You have made some great improvements MartF, now you can enjoy watching your hens and eagerly await your first egg.   ;)

BobE

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 22:55 »
A roof on it to keep the food dry is a really good idea.  Polythene will be torn off by winds but you can get good rigid corrigated sheets now.  As a winter refuge it works well.

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 23:11 »
Thanks again for the advice Bob and ANHBUC, looks like roofing the enclosed run is the next project!

BobE

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 23:15 »
Youve got some time before autum yet. 
It looks like you have a good set up and you can enjoy them.  Sorry its been all things to do, but it does look really nice now.

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 23:19 »
Thanks, much appreciated, yes it has been hard work this week but it was worth it and the 'cherry on the top' would be if we got the first egg this weekend!

Watch this Space!  :)

BobE

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 23:21 »

Watch this Space!  :)

:blink:

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29 »
Still watching this space???

Got these POL hens on August 4th and up to this morning no eggs - however half an hour ago one started cackling and when I checked I discovered there were 3 eggs waiting for me - result!

Don't know why the other two didn't cackle, I thought they normally did, but they are only beginners.

I'm very pleased and my wife is well chuffed!!

BobE

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 12:49 »
 :D

xx
Chicken wire/wire fence

Started by Ali on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 18:04
by Tweety
xx
Fence height

Started by steptoe and son on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 12:46
by eddy h
xx
Wing-clipping and run fence height.

Started by Diggit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 22:13
by evie2
xx
wire fence

Started by fluffy feather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 01:46
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 37 queries.